Polynomial Long Division w Integrals

In summary: Therefore, when writing $\frac{3x^2-2}{x^2-2x-8}$, we can re-write it as:\frac{3x^2-2}{x^2-2x-8}=\frac{3\left(x^2-2x-8 \right)+6x+22}{x^2-2x-8}=\frac{3\left(x^2-2x-8 \right)}{x^2-2x-8}+\frac{6x+22}{x^2-2x-8}Now we can use the long division algorithm to solve the first fraction, which will leave us with the second fraction as the
shamieh
I do not understand how I would do this with long division since there is only 2 terms. I can't remember the trick. Here is what I have so far.
\(\displaystyle
\int \frac{3x^2 - 2}{x^2 - 2x - 8} dx\)

so I got \(\displaystyle \int 3 + \frac{x^2 - 2}{(x - 4)(x + 2)}\)

I'm not sure if that's right? I just factored it out instead of long division. I Don't recall what "synthetic division" is either.

So I have \(\displaystyle (x - 4)(x + 2) = A(x+2) + B(x-4)\)Am I on the right track or no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Synthetic division is possible, but not usually recommended when the denominator is quadratic or higher. To do polynomial long division, just make sure that the dividend and the divisor have all the descending powers of $x$. If there are any missing powers, add it in as follows:
$$ \frac{3x^2-2}{x^2 -2x-8}= \frac{3x^2+0x-2}{x^2-2x-8}.$$
Now do the usual long division algorithm.

Last edited:
shamieh said:
I do not understand how I would do this with long division since there is only 2 terms. I can't remember the trick. Here is what I have so far.
\(\displaystyle
\int \frac{3x^2 - 2}{x^2 - 2x - 8} dx\)

so I got \(\displaystyle \int 3 + \frac{x^2 - 2}{(x - 4)(x + 2)}\)

I'm not sure if that's right? I just factored it out instead of long division. I Don't recall what "synthetic division" is either.

So I have \(\displaystyle (x - 4)(x + 2) = A(x+2) + B(x-4)\)Am I on the right track or no?
I would re-write:

$3x^2 - 2 = 3(x^2 - 2x - 8) + 6x + 22$

This turns your integral into:

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{3x^2 - 2}{x^2 - 2x - 8}dx = \int 3\ dx + \int\frac{6x + 22}{x^2 - 2x - 8}dx\)

Next, re-write $6x + 22$ as $6(x + 2) + 10$

so that:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{6x + 22}{x^2 - 2x - 8}dx = \int \frac{6}{x - 4}dx + \int\frac{10}{x^2 - 2x - 8}dx\)

Now you're in a position to use "partial fraction decomposition", by solving:

$A(x - 4) + B(x + 2) = 10$ leading to:

$A + B = 0$
$2B - 4A = 10$

which should not be that hard.

Deveno said:
I would re-write:

$3x^2 - 2 = 3(x^2 - 2x - 8) + 6x + 22$

What is going on here Deveno? Your setting the numerator = to the denominator? Where are those extra terms coming from? Are you completing the square? I am lost, can you show me a little detail on this particular step just so I can understand.

Thanks again for your help in advance.

shamieh said:
What is going on here Deveno? Your setting the numerator = to the denominator? Where are those extra terms coming from? Are you completing the square? I am lost, can you show me a little detail on this particular step just so I can understand.

Thanks again for your help in advance.

Deveno is using the fact that:

\(\displaystyle 3x^2-2=3x^2+6x-6x-24+22=3\left(x^2-2x-8 \right)+6x+22\)

Related to Polynomial Long Division w Integrals

1. What is polynomial long division with integrals?

Polynomial long division with integrals is a method used in calculus to divide a polynomial function by another polynomial function, while also integrating the result. This process is used to find the antiderivative of a rational function.

2. Why is polynomial long division with integrals useful?

Polynomial long division with integrals is useful because it allows us to find the antiderivative of a rational function, which is an essential tool in solving many problems in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

3. How do you perform polynomial long division with integrals?

The process of polynomial long division with integrals involves breaking down the polynomial into smaller terms, dividing each term by the divisor, and then integrating the result. This process is repeated until all terms have been divided and integrated, and the final result is the antiderivative of the original rational function.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in polynomial long division with integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid in polynomial long division with integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in the division process, and forgetting to integrate the result of each division step.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in polynomial long division with integrals?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in polynomial long division with integrals is to solve a variety of practice problems. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to gain a better understanding of the process and identify any areas where you may need improvement.