Polynomial Division: Show g(x) Divides f(x)

In summary, x + 1 is a factor of both g(x) and f(x), as shown by the factor theorem and the fact that f(-1) = 0. The other two factors of g(x) are x = 1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2, which can be easily raised to the 9999th power to show that they also divide f(x). Therefore, g(x) = x^3 + 1 divides f(x) = x^{9999} +1.
Combinatus

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]g(x) = x^3 + 1[/tex] divides [tex]f(x) = x^{9999} +1[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]g(x)[/tex] can obviously be factored into the irreducible polynomials [tex](x+1)(x^2 - x + 1)[/tex] in [tex]Z[x][/tex], and since [tex]f(-1) = (-1)^{9999} + 1 = 0[/tex], the factor theorem gives that [tex](x+1)[/tex] divides [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Furthermore, we get

[tex]x^{9999}+1 = (x^2 - x + 1) q(x) + r(x)[/tex]

where [tex]r(x) = Ax+B[/tex] since [tex]deg(r(x)) < deg(x^2 - x + 1)[/tex] if [tex]r(x) \neq 0[/tex].

So, showing that [tex]A = B = 0[/tex] would be a good idea, which I have failed to do throughout past trials. I suspect there's an "obvious", clever trick to this, but I'm currently not seeing it.

Another approach would probably be to use [tex]x^{9999}+1 = (x+1)(x^2 - x + 1) q_{2}(x) + r_{2}(x)[/tex] where [tex]r_{2}(x) = Cx^2 + Dx + E[/tex], and so, [tex]x = -1[/tex] yields [tex]C - D + E = 0[/tex], but that hasn't gotten me anywhere either.Note: I'm assuming that I'm not supposed to use complex roots to factor [tex]x^2 - x + 1[/tex], but the problem doesn't specify that such an assumption is necessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Combinatus said:

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]g(x) = x^3 + 1[/tex] divides [tex]f(x) = x^{9999} +1[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]g(x)[/tex] can obviously be factored into the irreducible polynomials [tex](x+1)(x^2 - x + 1)[/tex] in [tex]Z[x][/tex], and since [tex]f(-1) = (-1)^{9999} + 1 = 0[/tex], the factor theorem gives that [tex](x+1)[/tex] divides [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Furthermore, we get

[tex]x^{9999}+1 = (x^2 - x + 1) q(x) + r(x)[/tex]

where [tex]r(x) = Ax+B[/tex] since [tex]deg(r(x)) < deg(x^2 - x + 1)[/tex] if [tex]r(x) \neq 0[/tex].

So, showing that [tex]A = B = 0[/tex] would be a good idea, which I have failed to do throughout past trials. I suspect there's an "obvious", clever trick to this, but I'm currently not seeing it.

Another approach would probably be to use [tex]x^{9999}+1 = (x+1)(x^2 - x + 1) q_{2}(x) + r_{2}(x)[/tex] where [tex]r_{2}(x) = Cx^2 + Dx + E[/tex], and so, [tex]x = -1[/tex] yields [tex]C - D + E = 0[/tex], but that hasn't gotten me anywhere either.

Note: I'm assuming that I'm not supposed to use complex roots to factor [tex]x^2 - x + 1[/tex], but the problem doesn't specify that such an assumption is necessary.
You've shown that x + 1 is a factor by showing that f(-1) = 0. The other two factors of x^3 + 1 are x = 1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2. If you write these in polar form it's pretty easy to raise them to the 9999th power, and thus show that f(1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2) = 0.

Mark44 said:
You've shown that x + 1 is a factor by showing that f(-1) = 0. The other two factors of x^3 + 1 are x = 1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2. If you write these in polar form it's pretty easy to raise them to the 9999th power, and thus show that f(1/2 +/- i sqrt(3)/2) = 0.

Ugh, yay for assumptions! Thank you!

Related to Polynomial Division: Show g(x) Divides f(x)

1. How do you determine if g(x) divides f(x)?

To determine if g(x) divides f(x), you need to find the remainder when f(x) is divided by g(x). If the remainder is equal to 0, then g(x) divides f(x).

2. Can you give an example of polynomial division using g(x) and f(x)?

For example, if g(x) = x+1 and f(x) = x^2+2x+1, when we divide f(x) by g(x), we get a remainder of 0. Therefore, g(x) divides f(x).

3. How is polynomial division related to finding roots of a polynomial?

Polynomial division can help us determine if a polynomial has a certain root. If we have a polynomial f(x) and we divide it by (x-a), where a is a potential root, and the remainder is 0, then we can conclude that (x-a) is a factor of f(x) and therefore a is a root of the polynomial.

4. What is the significance of showing that g(x) divides f(x)?

Showing that g(x) divides f(x) can help us simplify complex polynomials and make it easier to find roots and factorize them. It also helps us understand the relationships between different polynomials and their factors.

5. Can there be multiple g(x) that divides f(x)?

Yes, there can be multiple g(x) that divides f(x). In fact, any polynomial that is a factor of f(x) can be considered as g(x) that divides f(x), as long as the remainder is 0 when f(x) is divided by g(x).