Polygon of force diagram inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses how to demonstrate that a crate is in equilibrium on a slope using a polygon of forces. The attempt at a solution involves drawing four forces, including the weight, the normal reaction force, and the force pulling the crate up the hill. It is also noted that friction plays a role in keeping the crate from slipping. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to draw specific forces in a force triangle and the importance of including the units of force.
rad10k

Homework Statement

Use the polygon of forces to demonstrate that the crate is in equilibrium on the slope

Homework Equations

No friction 1962 N crate sitting on a inclined plane 25 degree angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn four forces

mg = 1962 N ( 200 kg * 9.81)

fd = mgsin25 = 829.14 N

Fn = mgcos25 = 1944.74 N

So I have resolved the component forces how do I now draw it to demostrate that the crate is in equilibrium and the polygon or right angled triangle will "close "

I don't understand please help! :eek:)

Physics news on Phys.org
rad10k: Your numeric value for Fn is currently incorrect. Try computing that again.

You can draw those two force components in a force triangle, where m*g is the hypotenuse.

thanks nvn . I have recalculated fn and now have fn = mgcos25 = 1778.18 N

Do I have to draw the triangle to scal ie. 1 cm = 100 N or do I just draw a triangle and label it with the units of force with it? :eek:$

mg as the hypotense , fd as the opposite fn as adjacent?

Thanks for your help

I have just drawn this on a scale of 1 cm to 100 N and the mg hypotense side measured out correctly , also I checked angle with a petractor and the angle is 25 degrees so is this now correct? thanks

Last edited:
rad10k: Yes, that sounds correct. Nice work. Just a footnote: The crate will slide down the slope unless there is a frictional force equal to fd. If the crate slides (accelerates), it is not in equilibrium. With no friction, the crate cannot be in equilibrium.

thanks nvn .

I have added a free body diagram with force fk in oppositie direction to fn which i take it will also be 829.18 N and also added force n "normal force" which I believe is equal to fn? which 1778.18 N

Anyway thanks for your time

rad10k: Yes, very good. I like that.

Hi guys,

Sorry for jumping in on this but I'm a little confused too! I have the same problem. 200kg crate on a 25 degree plane.

I'm confused with the force diagram. I thought I was looking to balance 5 forces?

1) The component of the weight acting parallel to the slope.
2) The component of the weight acting perpendicular to the slope.
3) The friction, acting parallel to the slope.
4) The reaction force of the slope on the block.
5) The gravity force through the centre of mass.

Looking at other examples the gravity force isn't used. Is this due to the force being split into the vertical and horizontal components?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich.

To solve this you have to consider only 3 forces

the weight, the normal reaction force, the force pulling the crate up the hill.

the role played by friction is just to keep the drate from slipping.

Hi, how do I draw 90N;90degrees 150N;60degrees and 75N;75degrees and 100N

Related to Polygon of force diagram inclined plane

What is a polygon of force diagram for an inclined plane?

A polygon of force diagram for an inclined plane is a graphical representation of the forces acting on an object on an inclined plane. It shows the magnitude and direction of each force, as well as the resulting net force.

How is the polygon of force diagram different from a free body diagram?

The polygon of force diagram is specific to objects on an inclined plane, while a free body diagram can be used for any object. Additionally, the polygon of force diagram includes both horizontal and vertical components of forces, while a free body diagram only shows the overall force acting on an object.

Why is a polygon of force diagram useful?

A polygon of force diagram is useful because it allows for a visual representation of the forces acting on an object on an inclined plane. This can help in understanding the motion and equilibrium of the object, as well as determining the necessary forces to keep the object in place or to move it up or down the incline.

How do you construct a polygon of force diagram for an inclined plane?

To construct a polygon of force diagram for an inclined plane, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object, including the weight, normal force, and any applied forces. Then, draw a line representing the incline, and draw the forces acting on the object along this line, with their respective magnitudes and directions. Finally, use vector addition to determine the net force acting on the object.

What are some common misconceptions about a polygon of force diagram for an inclined plane?

One common misconception about a polygon of force diagram for an inclined plane is that the net force should always be perpendicular to the incline. In reality, the net force can have both horizontal and vertical components. Another misconception is that the weight of the object is always parallel to the incline, when in fact it is only parallel if the incline is frictionless.