Pole Changing Method: Understanding the Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pole changing methods and the confusion around the notation and direction of current in a given figure. The dot and cross symbols in the figure represent the direction of current in a loop of wire, and the accompanying text specifies that the current is assumed to be circulating clockwise in both coils. The symbols do not represent the direction of the magnetic field.
ranju
I was going through pole changing methods , when I was studying this given figure , I am quite confused in it.. in the text a1a1' & a2a2' are considered as 2 separate coils & it is assumed that both coils are carrying clockwise current , then what that "dot" & "cross" denoting?? Is it the magnetic field according to right hand thumb rule..?? But then why in a1' & a2' the direction is outwards.. as according to right hand rule it'll be inside the plane only ..!

Attachments

• IMG_20150423_092118.jpg
    IMG_20150423_092118.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_20150423_092239.jpg
    IMG_20150423_092239.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 394
Engineering news on Phys.org
You should read the diagrams in the context of the accompanying text. What does it say?

I think you'll find that a2 and a2' are two parts of the same loop of wire. The dot and cross indicate the direction of the current in the wire.
But I cannot see the circulation arrows properly to verify.

In the context it is assumed that current is circulating in clockwise direction in both the coils a1a1' & a2a2' . dot & cross can't denote current then , it must be the field.>!

Related to Pole Changing Method: Understanding the Confusion

What is the Pole Changing Method and how does it work?

The Pole Changing Method is a technique used in electrical engineering to change the speed of an AC motor by altering the number of poles in the stator. This is achieved by connecting different sets of stator coils to the power supply, effectively changing the magnetic field and the speed of the motor.

What are the benefits of using the Pole Changing Method?

The Pole Changing Method allows for efficient speed control of AC motors without the need for additional equipment, such as variable frequency drives. It also offers a simple and cost-effective solution for controlling motor speed in various applications.

How is the Pole Changing Method different from other speed control methods?

The Pole Changing Method is unique in that it does not require any external devices for speed control, unlike other methods such as variable frequency drives or mechanical speed control. It also allows for smooth and continuous speed changes, unlike other methods that may cause jerky movements.

What are some applications of the Pole Changing Method?

The Pole Changing Method is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings where precise speed control is required, such as in conveyor systems, pumps, and fans. It is also used in electric vehicles, elevators, and other transportation systems.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Pole Changing Method?

One limitation of the Pole Changing Method is that it can only be used with AC motors, and not with DC motors. Additionally, the speed control range may be limited, depending on the number of poles in the motor. It also requires skilled technicians to properly implement and maintain the method.