Polarization vectors for spin-2 particles

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula involving the tensor product of two spin 1 vectors and its decomposition into symmetric and antisymmetric tensors, which represent different multiplets under transformations. The conversation also touches upon the connection between spin and symmetric traceless tensors in 2 and 3 dimensions. A textbook recommendation for further reading is also provided.
Breo
Who knows where this formula comes?

$$ e_i \otimes e_j + e_j \otimes e_i - \frac{2}{3}( \sum_{\substack{k}} e_k \otimes e_k
)\delta_{ij} $$

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does it appear?
The structure reminds me of the off-diagonal elements of a quadrupol tensor.

this equation reminds to to group rotations or symmetries. Something of group theory.

Breo said:
Who knows where this formula comes?

$$ e_i \otimes e_j + e_j \otimes e_i - \frac{2}{3}( \sum_{\substack{k}} e_k \otimes e_k
)\delta_{ij} $$
Ok, If you couple two spin 1 vectors, you get the following spins
[tex]\vec{ 1 } + \vec{ 1 } = ( \vec{ 2 } , \vec{ 1 } , \vec{ 0 } ) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
In components, this means
[tex][ 3 ] \otimes [ 3 ] = [ 5 ] \oplus [ 3 ] \oplus [ 1 ]. \ \ \ \ (1a)[/tex]
What does this equation means? Well, the LHS is the (reducible) tensor product of two 3-vectors, [itex]e_{ i } \otimes e_{ j }[/itex]. The RHS, which consists of irreducible tensors, is obtained by the decomposing the tensor product into (direct)sum of independent tensors. In general, you decompose a tensor into irreducible tensors by forming symmetric and antisymmetric combinations and subtracting all possible traces. So, your example is the simplest one:
[tex]
e_{ i } \otimes e_{ j } = \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } G_{ i j } + \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } A_{ i j } + \frac{ 1 }{ 3 } \delta_{ i j } e_{ k } \otimes e_{ k } ,
\ \ \ (1b)[/tex]
where the tensor
[tex]G_{ i j } = e_{ i } \otimes e_{ j } + e_{ j } \otimes e_{ i } - \frac{ 2 }{ 3 } \delta_{ i j } e_{ k } \otimes e_{ k } ,[/tex]
is symmetric, [itex]G_{ i j } = G_{ j i }[/itex] and traceless [itex]\delta_{ i j } G_{ i j } = 0[/itex]. Therefore, it has [itex](3/2)(3 + 1) - 1= [5][/itex] components and can represent a massive spin [itex]\vec{ 2 }[/itex] particle,
[tex]A_{ i j } = e_{ i } \otimes e_{ j } - e_{ j } \otimes e_{ i } ,[/tex]
is anti-symmetric tensor. In 3-dimension, it has [itex](3/2)(3 - 1 ) = [3][/itex] components. Therefore, it is equivalent to spin [itex]\vec{1}[/itex] represented by the 3-vector [itex]v_{ i } \equiv \epsilon_{ i j k} A_{ j k }[/itex], and finally
[tex]e_{ k } \otimes e_{ k } = \mbox{ Tr } ( e_{ i } \otimes e_{ j } ) = \delta_{ m n} e_{ m } \otimes e_{ n } ,[/tex]
is the invariant trace, i.e., [itex][ 1 ][/itex] component scalar representing spin [itex]\vec{ 0 }[/itex].
So, equations eq(1), eq(1a) and eq(1b) all have the same meaning.

Likes dextercioby, Breo and arivero
samalkhaiat said:
subtracting all possible traces

Guys, you are being very helpful this week :) great!

Has symmetry or antisymmetry some deeper significance, beyond building the irreps? From the notation in the irrep sum it seems that this [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] with two indexes is still the same thing, [3], that the initial vector [itex]e_i[/itex]... is it? And we could also get a spin 1 vector from a product 1/2 x 1/2, and then it would be in the symmetric representation, but still be just a spin 1 vector as the others.

Infinite thanks! Do you know a good textbook which talks more about this?

arivero said:
Guys, you are being very helpful this week :) great!

Has symmetry or antisymmetry some deeper significance, beyond building the irreps?
No, that is deep enough. The point is this, symmetric and anti-symmetric tensors do not mix under the transformations in the question, i.e., they belong to different multiplets (invariant subspaces).
From the notation in the irrep sum it seems that this [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] with two indexes is still the same thing, [3], that the initial vector [itex]e_i[/itex]... is it?
Yes, they are (as I said) equivalent, because of the invariant tensor [itex]\epsilon_{ i j k }[/itex]
And we could also get a spin 1 vector from a product 1/2 x 1/2, and then it would be in the symmetric representation, but still be just a spin 1 vector as the others.
The above construction has no spin (1/2) object! For that, you need to consider the group [itex]SU(2)[/itex].

Breo said:
Try textbooks on group theory and particle physics.

Breo said:

Try first H. Georgi's <Lie Algebras and Particle Physics>.

dextercioby said:
Try first H. Georgi's <Lie Algebras and Particle Physics>.
uh? "Learn mathematics from books written by mathematicians" :-D

Well, for this topic, it is true that physicist books are usual bussiness. I'd add Slansky's Report, which is scanned in the KEK database and surely also at SLAC, and some modern ones. Ramond? Cvitanovic?

For 2 and 3 dimensions, there is a connection between spin n and symmetric traceless n-tensors.

Let's consider rotation / angular momentum operators for vectors and tensors. ## (L_{ab})_{ij} = \delta_{ai} \delta_{bj} - \delta_{bi} \delta_{aj} ## with
L(total) = L(index 1) + L(index 2) + ... + L(index n)

The square ## L^2 = - \frac12 L_{ab} L_{ab} ## where the -1/2 is for identifying it with quantum-mechanical spin. Its general expression for a tensor is
$$ (L^2)_{(i)(j)} = n (d - 1) \delta_{(i)(j)} + \sum_{q != p} ( \delta_{p:i,q:j} \delta_{q:i,p:j} - \delta_{p:i,p:j} \delta_{q:i,q:j} ) \delta_{other (i)(j)} $$
for indices p and q and values i and j of them, and also d dimensions of of vector index.

It is evident that the largest L2 is for a symmetric traceless tensor, and in that case, we get L2 = n*(n+d-2). That's the right value for the square of the spin for both d = 2 and d = 3.

lpetrich said:
For 2 and 3 dimensions, there is a connection between spin n and symmetric traceless n-tensors.

Let's consider rotation / angular momentum operators for vectors and tensors. ## (L_{ab})_{ij} = \delta_{ai} \delta_{bj} - \delta_{bi} \delta_{aj} ## with
L(total) = L(index 1) + L(index 2) + ... + L(index n)

The square ## L^2 = - \frac12 L_{ab} L_{ab} ## where the -1/2 is for identifying it with quantum-mechanical spin. Its general expression for a tensor is
$$ (L^2)_{(i)(j)} = n (d - 1) \delta_{(i)(j)} + \sum_{q != p} ( \delta_{p:i,q:j} \delta_{q:i,p:j} - \delta_{p:i,p:j} \delta_{q:i,q:j} ) \delta_{other (i)(j)} $$
for indices p and q and values i and j of them, and also d dimensions of of vector index.

It is evident that the largest L2 is for a symmetric traceless tensor, and in that case, we get L2 = n*(n+d-2). That's the right value for the square of the spin for both d = 2 and d = 3.
What does that garbage mean, exactly?

Last edited:
The Lab's are generators of the SO(d) algebra for d dimensions, appropriately extended to n-tensors. The L2 is the square Casimir invariant of that algebra, and it gives the total spin. This n-tensor representation of SO(d) is reducible, and one of its parts is for a symmetric traceless n-tensor.

Related to Polarization vectors for spin-2 particles

1. What are polarization vectors for spin-2 particles?

Polarization vectors for spin-2 particles are mathematical quantities that describe the direction and orientation of the spin of a particle with spin-2. They are used in quantum field theory to describe the properties and behavior of such particles.

2. How are polarization vectors for spin-2 particles calculated?

The polarization vectors for spin-2 particles are calculated using the polarization tensor, which is a tensor of rank two that describes the spin-2 particle's polarization state. This tensor can be decomposed into two polarization vectors, which are then used to describe the particle's spin in different directions.

3. What is the significance of polarization vectors for spin-2 particles?

Polarization vectors for spin-2 particles are important because they allow us to describe and understand the properties of these particles in quantum field theory. They also play a crucial role in calculations and predictions for high-energy physics experiments.

4. How do polarization vectors for spin-2 particles differ from those for spin-1 particles?

Polarization vectors for spin-2 particles have two components, while those for spin-1 particles have only one component. Additionally, polarization vectors for spin-2 particles are traceless, meaning that their sum over all three components is equal to zero, while those for spin-1 particles are not.

5. Can polarization vectors for spin-2 particles be experimentally observed?

Yes, polarization vectors for spin-2 particles can be experimentally observed through measurements of the particle's spin orientation or through calculations of its polarization state in high-energy physics experiments. However, these observations may require sophisticated techniques and equipment.