Polar Coordinates: Understanding Negative Distance r

In summary, Polar Coordinates can be written in several equivalent ways by adding 360° to angles or using negative angles to represent the same point. This can also be done with the distance r, where negative r indicates walking in the opposite direction while facing the same angle. This allows for points such as (8, 135°) and (-8, 315°) to be equivalent.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am learning about Polar Coordinates and how they can be written in several equivalent ways.

I understand how you can add 360 to angles and use negative angles to represent the same point.

However, I have a very hard time understanding how you can write the same point but with a negative distance r.

So, the example in the book is r = 10 and θ = 30.

I really can't see how r = -10 and θ = 210 is equivalent.

Would anyone mind trying to give me some reasoning better than the one provided by my book?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I am learning about Polar Coordinates and how they can be written in several equivalent ways.

I understand how you can add 360° to angles and use negative angles to represent the same point.

However, I have a very hard time understanding how you can write the same point but with a negative distance r.

So, the example in the book is r = 10 and θ = 30°.

I really can't see how r = -10 and θ = 210° is equivalent.

Would anyone mind trying to give me some reasoning better than the one provided by my book?

Thanks!
(Sorry to nitpick, but you really need the degree symbols. Otherwise, I have to assume that you are in radians.)

Think of it this way. Let's use the point (8, 135°) as an example. Pretend that you are standing at the origin. θ = 135° means that you would turn and face towards the NW direction. r = 8 indicates that you would walk forward 8 units in the direction of 135°.

Now (-8, 315°) is an equivalent point. θ = 315° means that you would turn and face towards the SE direction. r = -8 indicates that you would walk backwards 8 units (r is negative), while still facing the SE direction. So you end in the same spot as (8, 135°).

Firstly, sorry for the degree symbol, I understand. Regarding the explanation, thanks! That is great!

Related to Polar Coordinates: Understanding Negative Distance r

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system for representing points in a plane using a distance from the origin (r) and an angle from a reference line (θ). This is different from Cartesian coordinates, which use an x-coordinate and a y-coordinate to locate points in a plane.

2. How do negative distances work in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, negative distances are represented by a negative value for r. This means that the point is located in the opposite direction from the origin than if it had a positive distance. For example, a point with a distance of -2 units would be located 2 units away from the origin in the opposite direction from a point with a distance of 2 units.

3. Can you have a negative angle in polar coordinates?

Yes, angles in polar coordinates can be negative. A negative angle means that the point is located in the opposite direction from the reference line than if it had a positive angle. For example, a point with an angle of -90 degrees would be located in the clockwise direction from a point with an angle of 90 degrees.

4. How do negative distances affect the placement of points in polar coordinates?

Negative distances in polar coordinates do not change the placement of points in relation to the origin or reference line. They simply indicate that the point is located in the opposite direction. For example, a point with a negative distance of 3 units and an angle of 45 degrees would be located in the second quadrant, just as a point with a positive distance of 3 units and an angle of 45 degrees would be.

5. Why do we use polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are often used in situations where it is more natural to describe a point in terms of distance and angle rather than x and y coordinates. This can be especially useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. Additionally, certain shapes and curves are easier to describe and analyze using polar coordinates.