Polar Coordinates and Conservative Vector Fields

In summary: If you use x(t) = r(t) cos t and y(t) = r(t) sin t, you have to show that those equations always give you a point in D.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Let F = <-y/(x2+y2, x/(x2+y2>. Recall that F was not conservative on R2 - (0,0). In this problem, we show that F is conservative on R2 minus the non-positive x-axis. Let D be all of R2 except points of the form (-x,0), where x≥0.

a) If (x,y) is included on D, show that it is possible to express (x,y) in polar coordinates (r,θ) such that x=r*cosθ and y=r*sinθ, where θ can be chosen such that θ equals,

{arctan(y)/x if x>0
{pi/2 if x=0
{pi + arctan(y)/x if x<0.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that if arctan(y) is bounded between -pi/2 and pi/2, then by taking the limits as x goes to "positive" zero and infinity, we see that θ is bounded, by the first definition, between 0 and infinity.

θ = pi/2 if x=0 simply includes all points along the y-axis.

Similarly, by taking limits, we find that, by the third definition, is bounded between pi and negative infinity. Since (x,y) necessarily lies on D, we need not worry that (x,y) is on the non-positive x-axis.

So what we have here is a θ capable of ranging from negative infinity to infinity. If we choose an arbitrary r, then our range of θ will allow us to reach any (x,y).

Personally, I think that this is either wrong or that there is more convincing way of doing the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have made numerous typos. It shouldn't be arctan(y)/x. It should be arctan(y/x). Additionally, is θ suppose to equal pi/2 regardless of the sign of y?

I think part of the issue here is that the problem, for me, was ambiguously worded. All it said was: theta equals

{arctan y/x if x>0
{pi/2 if x=0
{pi + arctan y/x if x<0.

I interpreted this as arctan (y)/x, but I can see how arctan (x/y) could also be an interpretation. In any case, I still don't really know how to begin the problem, especially since my original interpretation is, apparently, incorrect. There is no mention of y-signs in the problem.

I think the correct definition of [itex]\theta[/itex] should be
[tex]\theta = \begin{cases}
\arctan (y/x) & \text{if }x>0 \\
\arctan (y/x)+\pi & \text{if }x<0 \\
\pi/2 & \text{if } x=0 \text{ and } y>0 \\
-\pi/2 & \text{if } x=0 \text{ and } y<0
\end{cases}[/tex]The reason I think you need to consider the sign of y when x=0 is because r is typically assumed to be positive. If r>0 and θ=+π/2 when x=0, there's no way to express a point like (0,-1) in polar coordinates.

Okay, I think that makes sense. I guess if you let r be negative, then it could no longer have the interpretation as the radius. In any case, could you please tell how to begin to show that theta can be selected in this way? I don't think my method of taking limits was correct or legitimate.

I think I have a counter-example to this problem. I will show that F is not conservative on the closed path r(t) = <cos(t) + 2, sin(t) + 2>. This path lies entirely in the first quadrant, and therefore meets the condition that the path does not pass over the non-positive x-axis. I will show that that the integral over r(t) of F(x(t),y(t)) dot r'(t) dt does not equal zero.

r'(t) = <-sin(t),cos(t)> and F(x(t),y(t)) = <-sin(t),cos(t)>.

Taking the dot product of the simply gives 1.

The integral from 0 to 2*pi of 1 dt = 2*pi.

Since 2*pi does not equal zero, F is not conservative, even when the non-positive x-axis is excluded.

Gah! I don't get this problem at all!

Your expression for [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] should be [itex]\vec{F} = \langle -\frac{\sin \theta}{r},\frac{\cos \theta}{r}\rangle[/itex].

But I'm not parameterizing F by x=r*cos(theta). I'm using x=cos(t). Why shouldn't this parameterization work properly?

TranscendArcu said:
Okay, I think that makes sense. I guess if you let r be negative, then it could no longer have the interpretation as the radius. In any case, could you please tell how to begin to show that theta can be selected in this way? I don't think my method of taking limits was correct or legitimate.
I'm not sure exactly what you're supposed to show. You probably need to show that for any (x,y) in D, you can calculate θ and that r cos θ equals x and r sin θ equals y with an appropriately chosen r.

TranscendArcu said:
But I'm not parameterizing F by x=r*cos(theta). I'm using x=cos(t). Why shouldn't this parameterization work properly?
You have
\begin{align*}
x(t) &= 2+\cos t = r(t) \cos\theta(t) \\
y(t) &= 2+\sin t = r(t) \sin\theta(t)
\end{align*}The parameter t isn't the same as θ.

Related to Polar Coordinates and Conservative Vector Fields

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system used to describe the position of a point in two-dimensional space. They use a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle measured from a reference direction (such as the positive x-axis) to locate a point.

2. How are polar coordinates related to Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different systems used to describe the position of a point in two-dimensional space. While Cartesian coordinates use the x and y coordinates to locate a point, polar coordinates use the radius and angle. They are related by the formulas x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ.

3. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a type of vector field where the work done by the field on an object moving between two points is independent of the path taken. In other words, the path taken does not affect the work done by the field. This type of vector field is often seen in physics and engineering problems.

4. How do you determine if a vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the curl test or the path independence test. The curl test involves taking the curl of the vector field and seeing if it is equal to zero. If it is, then the vector field is conservative. The path independence test involves choosing two points and two different paths between them, and seeing if the work done by the vector field is the same for both paths. If it is, then the vector field is conservative.

5. How are polar coordinates used in conservative vector fields?

In conservative vector fields, polar coordinates are often used to simplify calculations and equations. This is because the equations for conservative vector fields are often easier to work with in polar coordinates, as they do not involve derivatives. Additionally, polar coordinates are useful for visualizing conservative vector fields, as they can represent circular and rotational motion more intuitively than Cartesian coordinates.