Poisson equation for the field of an electron

In summary, the homework statement is that the scalar field produced by an electron located at the origin is given by the Poisson equation. The radial dependence of the field is given by
Keonn

Homework Statement

In classical electrodynamics, the scalar field [itex]\phi(r)[/itex] produced by an electron located at the origin is given by the Poisson equation
[itex]\nabla^2\phi(r) = -4\pi e\delta(r)[/itex]

Show that the radial dependence of the field is given by
[itex]\phi(r) = \frac er[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure if this is right, but this is what I found on wikipedia. I've never learned about this ∇^2 thing in a math class.
[itex]\nabla^2 \phi =\frac {\partial^2 \phi}{\partial r^2} + \frac 1r \frac {\partial \phi}{\partial r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in e/r for phi, you get:
[itex]\nabla^2 \phi = \frac {2e}{r^3} - \frac {e}{r^3} = \frac {e}{r^3}[/itex]
which isn't even close to the equation given in the problem. I am so lost, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you found looks more like the ##\nabla^2## in polar coordinates (2D). In the same encyclopaedia I found (here) something else for three dimensions -- more like the world where electrons manifest themselves. With spherical symmetry you can focus on the r part.

You also want to think what you want to do with the ##\delta## function. It has a nice habit of being integrable (if that's an existing word). And then there is a famous theorem to link E on a surface to charge enclosed (named after a German named Carl Friedrich).

But perhaps there is a more direct route.

Keonn said:
I've never learned about this ∇^2 thing in a math class.

Hi. This is a bit of a problem because the Laplacian is usually covered in Calculus III, which would be a pre-requisite for E&M... You would also need to know about the three major theorems of 3-dimensions calculus (gradient, divergence and curl), and finally about multi-dimensional delta-functions and how to express them in non-cartesian coordinates.
If you don't know about these, it's going to be a long way for you to derive the relation you are given. I can outline the first steps:
1 - express the delta-function in spherical coordinates (by the way, your equation should read δ3(r), not δ(r))
2 - express the Laplacian as ∇⋅∇Φ, then use the theorem for gradients to integrate over all space.
The whole derivation takes four lines, but you really need to know about 3-dimensional calculus...

2 is equivalent the divergence of the gradient of a scalar function ƒ: ∇⋅∇(ƒ).
I suggest reading about gradient and divergence if you're not familiar with these (plenty of sources online)

To provide a brief intro:
∇ (aka del or nabla operator) can be denoted [itex] <\frac{∂}{∂x_1}, \frac{∂}{∂x_2}, ..., \frac{∂}{∂x_n}> [/itex]. Note there is no function following the ∂ in the numerator.

Let ƒ be a function ƒ(x1, x2, ..., xn) = ξ, where ξ is a scalar
The Gradient ∇ƒ maps the output of ƒ on ℝ to ℝn (Think scalar f multiplied by vector ∇)
∇ƒ = [itex] <\frac{∂ξ}{∂x_1}, \frac{∂ξ}{∂x_2}, ..., \frac{∂ξ}{∂x_n}> [/itex]

Let ϑ be a function ϑ(x1, x2, ..., xn) = [itex]<ϑ_1, ϑ_2, ..., ϑ_n>[/itex]
The Divergence ∇⋅ϑ maps the output of some function on ℝn to ℝ (Think dot product of ∇ and ϑ)
∇⋅ϑ = [itex] \frac{∂ϑ}{∂x_1} + \frac{∂ϑ}{∂x_2} + ... + \frac{∂ϑ}{∂x_n} [/itex]

If we apply both to the first function ƒ(X) = ξ, where ∇(ƒ) = ϑ, we map the output on ℝ, to ℝn and back to ℝ
∇⋅∇(ƒ) = [itex] \frac{∂^2ξ}{∂x_1^2} + \frac{∂^2ξ}{∂x_2^2} + ... + \frac{∂^2ξ}{∂x_n^2} [/itex]
// as a note, ∇⋅∇ is more commonly written ∇2 or Δ, known as the Laplacian

Last edited:

Related to Poisson equation for the field of an electron

What is the Poisson equation for the field of an electron?

The Poisson equation for the field of an electron is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the charge density and the electric field in a given region of space. It is commonly used in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics to study the behavior of electrons.

How is the Poisson equation derived?

The Poisson equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Specifically, the Poisson equation is derived from Gauss's law, which relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface.

What is the significance of the Poisson equation in physics?

The Poisson equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the electric field in a given region of space, given the charge distribution. This is important for understanding the behavior of electrons and their interactions with other particles, as well as for practical applications such as designing electronic devices.

Can the Poisson equation be solved analytically?

In some cases, the Poisson equation can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, in many cases, it must be solved numerically using computational methods. This is because the equation is nonlinear and may involve complex boundary conditions.

What are some real-world applications of the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation has many real-world applications, including in the design of electronic devices such as transistors and computer chips, in analyzing the behavior of plasma in fusion reactors, and in modeling the electric fields in biological systems such as neurons. It is also used in astrophysics to study the behavior of charged particles in space.