Poission equation, spherical harmonics, looking for reference

In summary, the person is looking for a derivation of formula 76 and asks for a reference with a more detailed description. Another person suggests checking Jackson's electrodynamic book, Sec. 4.2.5 in Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" or Weinberger's "A first Course in Partial Differential Equations". They explain that the electrostatic potential is proportional to q/|r-r'| and that q can be obtained by integrating over the charge density rho. They also mention that any good book on partial differential equations should have a similar treatment.
Derivator
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a derivation of the following statement (formula 76)
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1550/screenshot4op.png

Do you know any reference, where I can find a bit more detailed description? I reckon, you can find it in Jackson's electrodynamic book, but I couldn't find it.derivator

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you take a look at the original definition of the electrostatic potential, which is basically given by something proportional to q/|r-r'|. In order to get q, you have to integrate over the charge density rho which is given in your text. The factor of 1/|r-r'| is also given there, so you just have to combine those two and calculate.

Try Sec. 4.2.5 in Franklin "Classical Electromagnetism".

Weinberger "A first Course in Partial Differential Equations" treats this in his chapter on Legendre and associated functions p 192 ff

But any good book on partial diffs should have a similar treatment.

The statement you have shared is known as the Poisson equation, and it is a fundamental equation in electrostatics and other fields of physics. It describes the relationship between the electric potential and the charge distribution in a given system. The formula you have shared is a specific form of the Poisson equation in spherical coordinates, which is often used to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

To understand the derivation of this equation, I would recommend consulting textbooks on electromagnetism and mathematical methods in physics. As you mentioned, Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics" is a well-known reference for this topic. Other resources that may be helpful include Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" and Arfken and Weber's "Mathematical Methods for Physicists."

I would also suggest looking for online lectures or notes from university courses on electromagnetism, as these often provide detailed derivations and explanations of the Poisson equation. Additionally, there are many research papers and articles available that discuss the use and derivation of the Poisson equation in various physical systems.

I hope this helps in your search for a more detailed description of the Poisson equation in spherical coordinates. Keep exploring and learning, and don't hesitate to reach out to experts in the field for further guidance.

Related to Poission equation, spherical harmonics, looking for reference

What is the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar field in space, given the sources of that field. It is often used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena such as heat flow, electrostatics, and fluid mechanics.

What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of a scalar field on the surface of a sphere. They are commonly used to represent physical fields such as electromagnetic fields and gravitational fields.

How do I solve the Poisson equation using spherical harmonics?

To solve the Poisson equation using spherical harmonics, you can use a method called separation of variables. This involves expressing the solution as a product of two functions, one that depends only on the radial coordinate and one that depends on the angular coordinates.

What are some applications of the Poisson equation and spherical harmonics?

The Poisson equation and spherical harmonics have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include modeling the electrostatic potential of charged particles, calculating the potential energy of a mass in a gravitational field, and analyzing heat transfer in a spherical object.

Can you recommend any references for learning more about the Poisson equation and spherical harmonics?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about the Poisson equation and spherical harmonics. Some recommended references include textbooks such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, as well as online lectures and tutorials on websites like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare.