Points where a line intercepts a circle

In summary, after solving for $x$, we get two points for the intersection of the circle and line: $(-\frac{3}{2}, \frac{1}{2})$ and $(-\frac{5}{2}, -\frac{1}{2})$.
thazel345
circle: (x+2)^2+y^2=1/2
line: x+2
iv been able to find one point but can't find the other
work:
2(x+2)^2 =1/2
divide by 2 on both sides
(x+2)^2=1/4
square both sides
x+2=.5
subtract 2
x=-3/2
i used that to find the y but that only gives me one point please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thazel345 said:
circle: (x+2)^2+y^2=1/2
line: x+2
iv been able to find one point but can't find the other
work:
2(x+2)^2 =1/2
divide by 2 on both sides
(x+2)^2=1/4
square both sides
x+2=.5
subtract 2
x=-3/2
i used that to find the y but that only gives me one point please help

(Wave)

From $(x+2)^2=\frac{1}{4}$ we get that $x+2= \pm \frac{1}{2}$.
So $x_1=\frac{1}{2}-2=-\frac{3}{2}$ and $x_2=-\frac{1}{2}-2=-\frac{5}{2}$.
So we get the points $(x_1, x_1+2)=\left( -\frac{3}{2}, \frac{1}{2}\right)$ and $(x_2, x_2+2)=\left( -\frac{5}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}\right)$.

Related to Points where a line intercepts a circle

1. What is the definition of a point of intersection between a line and a circle?

A point of intersection between a line and a circle is a point where the line and the circle intersect or touch each other.

2. How many points of intersection can a line have with a circle?

A line can have a maximum of two points of intersection with a circle.

3. What is the formula for finding the coordinates of a point of intersection between a line and a circle?

The formula for finding the coordinates of a point of intersection between a line and a circle is (x,y), where x and y are the coordinates of the point. To find the x-coordinate, we can solve for x in the equation of the line and substitute that value into the equation of the circle. To find the y-coordinate, we can plug in the x-coordinate into the equation of the line.

4. Can a line have no points of intersection with a circle?

Yes, a line can have no points of intersection with a circle if the line is parallel to the circle or if the line does not intersect the circle at all.

5. Is it possible for a line to have an infinite number of points of intersection with a circle?

No, a line can have a maximum of two points of intersection with a circle. If a line intersects a circle at one point, it is tangent to the circle and if a line intersects a circle at two points, it is a secant of the circle.