Point of intersection for sine and cosine functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points of intersection for two given functions, f1=sin(-\pi*x) and f2=1+cos(-\pi*x). The speaker has plotted the functions using Maple and has determined that setting f1=f2 will give the points of intersection. The conversation then delves into various methods for solving the equation sin(-\pi*x)=1+cos(-\pi*x), including using trigonometric identities and converting between degrees and radians. The conversation ends with the speaker seeking further clarification on how to approach the problem.
reedy
The problem is finding the points of intersection for two given functions.

[tex]f1=sin(-\pi*x)[/tex]
[tex]f2=1+cos(-\pi*x)[/tex]

I've plotted the functions using Maple.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/12485/plot.png

And I'm quite certain that to find the points of intersection, I have to set
[tex]f1=f2[/tex]

which gives me

[tex]sin(-\pi*x)=1+cos(-\pi*x)[/tex]

I need a tip on what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
reedy said:
The problem is finding the points of intersection for two given functions.

[tex]f1=sin(-\pi*x)[/tex]
[tex]f2=1+cos(-\pi*x)[/tex]

I've plotted the functions using Maple.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/12485/plot.png

And I'm quite certain that to find the points of intersection, I have to set
[tex]f1=f2[/tex]

which gives me

[tex]sin(-\pi*x)=1+cos(-\pi*x)[/tex]

I need a tip on what to do next.
As you can see from your graph, it looks like the graphs cross when x is an odd integer of and odd integer over 2. Can you show that those must be the roots? What IS sine of an odd integer or an odd integer over 2? What about cosine?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also try to combine sin(u) - cos(u) equate it to one and then solve.

HallsofIvy said:
As you can see from your graph, it looks like the graphs cross when x is an odd integer of and odd integer over 2. Can you show that those must be the roots? What IS sine of an odd integer or an odd integer over 2? What about cosine?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I got that completely.

How does sine and cosine of an odd integer differ from sine and cosine of an even integer? Is there a rule I'm not aware of?

I do see that the lines cross at [tex]x_1=-1,x_2=-\frac{1}{2},x_3=1,x_4=1\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but that is pretty much all I know, and can see.

jgens said:
You could also try to combine sin(u) - cos(u) equate it to one and then solve.
I did think of that, but I have no idea what to do when there is both sine and cosine in the same equation. [tex]sin(-\pi*x)-cos(-\pi*x)=1[/tex]

None of the formulas fit!

sin(u) - cos(u) = sin(u) - sin(pi/2 - u). Does that help at all?

Additionally, this equation is of the form Asin(u) - Bcos(u) which we can combine in the following manner: Suppose sin(phi) = B/C where C = sqrt(A^2 + B^2). It then follows that A/C = cos(phi). Using these substitutions we can put the equation in the form C(cos(phi)sin(u) - sin(phi)cos(u)). With the help of another trig. identity you can simplify that greatly and hopefully solve the equation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I thought it would help...

[tex]sin(-\pi x)-sin(\frac{\pi}{2}+\pi x)=1[/tex]

Because if they're all sine, maybe I could do the following:

[tex]-\pi x-\frac{\pi}{2}+\pi x=90[/tex]

But that means I could cross out -PI*x which would leave me with -PI/2=90. :frown:

--------

Putting your tip to use, C=1 in my case.

And cos(phi)sin(u) - sin(phi)cos(u) = sin(phi-u)

But what is phi? is tan(phi)=b/a => phi=45?

You certaintly cannot just "cancel" the sine functions out. Additionally, you should keep your arguments the same - you appear to switch arguments from radians to degrees in your first example.

C != 1 in this case; in your case A = B = 1 and C = sqrt(A^2 + B^2). To find phi all you need to do is note that cos(phi) = A/C and sin(phi) = B/C; therefore, phi = arcsin(B/C) = arccos(A/C).

Regarding phi = arctan(1) = 45. That is correct but remember to keep your argument the same; given the pi terms in the sine and cosine function I would presume the argument is supposed to be in radians. So 45 degrees equals how many radians?

jgens said:
You certaintly cannot just "cancel" the sine functions out. Additionally, you should keep your arguments the same - you appear to switch arguments from radians to degrees in your first example.

C != 1 in this case; in your case A = B = 1 and C = sqrt(A^2 + B^2). To find phi all you need to do is note that cos(phi) = A/C and sin(phi) = B/C; therefore, phi = arcsin(B/C) = arccos(A/C).

Regarding phi = arctan(1) = 45. That is correct but remember to keep your argument the same; given the pi terms in the sine and cosine function I would presume the argument is supposed to be in radians. So 45 degrees equals how many radians?
Ohh, right. My bad. C=sqrt(2)

and didn't even think of the radian/degree thing. That leaves us with [tex]arctan(B/A)=1^\circ\Longleftrightarrow \frac{\pi}{4}rad=\phi[/tex]

So let's break this down.

[tex]C(cos(\phi)sin(u) - sin(\phi)cos(u))\Longleftrightarrow \\
C*sin(\phi-u)\Longleftrightarrow \\
\sqrt(2) sin(\frac{\pi}{4}-(-\pi x))[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt(2) sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\pi x)=1 \Longleftrightarrow sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\pi x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}[/tex]

This looks great! I know that 1/(sqrt(2) is pi/4, but I'm not sure how to write everything. can i just replace one with the other?

reedy said:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I got that completely.

How does sine and cosine of an odd integer differ from sine and cosine of an even integer? Is there a rule I'm not aware of?
Well, I asked what they were! Did you even check? [itex]sin(n\pi)= 0[/itex] for any integer while cos(npi)= 1 for n even, -1 for n odd.

I do see that the lines cross at [tex]x_1=-1,x_2=-\frac{1}{2},x_3=1,x_4=1\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but that is pretty much all I know, and can see.

I did think of that, but I have no idea what to do when there is both sine and cosine in the same equation. [tex]sin(-\pi*x)-cos(-\pi*x)=1[/tex]

None of the formulas fit!

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]sin(n\pi)= 0[/itex] for any integer while cos(npi)= 1 for n even, -1 for n odd.
Ohh, you mean like that. Sorry!

Well,

[tex]sin(3\pi)=0[/tex]
[tex]sin(2\pi)=0[/tex]
[tex]sin(1\pi)=0[/tex]

and

[tex]cos(1\pi)=-1[/tex]
[tex]cos(2\pi)=1[/tex]
[tex]cos(3\pi)=-1[/tex]

So what you initially said was indeed correct, and the functions do indeed cross when x is odd; -1, 1, etc.

But how does this help me solve the equation?
----
And I should add, to the original question, that the roots should be in a given interval [tex]-2<x<2[/tex]

This is what I now have.
[tex]sin(\frac{\pi}{4}+\pi x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}[/tex]

I don't have time to check that sin(pi/4 + pix) = 1/sqrt(2) is correct so I'll assume that it is. What is the general solution for arcsin(sqrt(2)/2)? Write that out and equate it to pi/4 + pix and then solve for x which should be fairly simple at that point.

Related to Point of intersection for sine and cosine functions

1. What is the point of intersection for sine and cosine functions?

The point of intersection for sine and cosine functions is where both the sine and cosine graphs intersect or overlap on a coordinate plane. This point has the same x and y values for both functions.

2. How do I find the point of intersection for sine and cosine functions?

To find the point of intersection, you need to set the equations for sine and cosine equal to each other and solve for x. This will give you the x-value of the point of intersection. Then, plug this value into either the sine or cosine equation to find the y-value.

3. Can there be more than one point of intersection for sine and cosine functions?

No, there can only be one point of intersection for sine and cosine functions. This is because both functions are periodic and have a repeating pattern, so they will only intersect at one point.

4. What does the point of intersection represent in terms of the functions?

The point of intersection represents a solution to the equations for sine and cosine. It is also the point where both functions have the same value, indicating that they are equal at that point.

5. Are there any special values for the point of intersection of sine and cosine functions?

Yes, the most common special value for the point of intersection is (0, 0). This is because when the angle is 0 degrees or 360 degrees, the values of sine and cosine are both 0. Therefore, the point of intersection occurs at the origin (0, 0).