Point charges, midpoint zero or non zero?

In summary, two point charges of opposite polarity (+q and -q) are placed at +50 cm and -50 cm on the x-axis, respectively. The electric field at the origin (halfway between the charges) is nonzero and points towards the positive charge. This can be determined using the superposition principle and considering the individual forces of each charge on a positive test charge at the origin.
rcmango

Homework Statement

Point charges +q and -q are placed at +50 cm and -50 cm on the x-axis, respectively. Is the electric field at the origin (halfway between the charges) zero or nonzero? If nonzero, which direction does it point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the charges will be attracting each other because they are opposite in polarity. I'm not sure if the electric field will be zero or non zero. I do know that if the charges were the same polarity, then the midpoint in the middle would both be zero. Please help me figure this one out completely.

Physics news on Phys.org
rcmango said:
Point charges +q and -q are placed at +50 cm and -50 cm on the x-axis, respectively. Is the electric field at the origin (halfway between the charges) zero or nonzero? If nonzero, which direction does it point?

Use the superposition principle. Google "electric field" and "superposition".

Place a positive test charge at the origin. If the net Coulomb force on the test charge is zero, the electric field is zero; if the net Coulomb force is not zero, then the electric field is not zero and point in the same direction as the net Coulomb force.

rcmango said:

Homework Statement

Looking at the +q charge at +50 cm only, a negative charge would feel a force toward it, in the positive direction (and a positive charge in the negative direction). Looking at the -q charge at -50 cm only, a negative charge would feel a force away, in the positive direction (and a postive charge in the positive direction). The two forces add, they do not cancel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the charges will be attracting each other because they are opposite in polarity. I'm not sure if the electric field will be zero or non zero. I do know that if the charges were the same polarity, then the midpoint in the middle would both be zero. Please help me figure this one out completely.

The electric field at the origin (halfway between the +q and -q point charges) will be nonzero. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and the contributions from each charge will not cancel out at the midpoint. The direction of the electric field at the origin will be towards the -q charge, as it has a stronger magnitude compared to the +q charge. This can be seen from Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. In this case, the distance to the -q charge is smaller, resulting in a stronger electric field towards that direction.

Related to Point charges, midpoint zero or non zero?

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is concentrated at a single point in space and has no physical dimensions. It is often used in physics and engineering to simplify complex electrical systems and calculations.

2. Can a point charge have a zero midpoint?

No, a point charge cannot have a zero midpoint because it is a single point in space and does not have any physical dimensions. Therefore, it does not have a defined midpoint.

3. What is the significance of a midpoint being zero or non-zero in regards to point charges?

The midpoint being zero or non-zero in regards to point charges is significant because it determines the symmetry of the charge distribution. A zero midpoint indicates a symmetric charge distribution, while a non-zero midpoint indicates an asymmetric charge distribution.

4. How do you calculate the electric field of a point charge with a non-zero midpoint?

The electric field of a point charge with a non-zero midpoint can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the point.

5. What is the difference between a point charge and a dipole?

A point charge is a single charge concentrated at a single point in space, while a dipole consists of two equal and opposite charges separated by a distance. Additionally, a point charge has a zero midpoint, while a dipole has a non-zero midpoint.