Point charges and potential electric energy

In summary, this is probably child's play for most of you, but a guy like me struggles to understand basic concepts. A kick in the pants to set me off in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Torquescrew
This is probably child's play for most of you, but a guy like me struggles to understand basic concepts. A kick in the pants to set me off in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

How far must the point charges q_1 = 7.60 microCoulombs and q_2 = -24.0 microCoulombs be separated for the electric potential energy of the system to be -110 J?

Homework Equations

E=F/q
F=k(q1*q2)/(r^2)
k=8.988810^9 (Nm^2)/(C^2)
Volt = N/C
W=Fr
r= distance in this case

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm not quite sure where to start. Not sure which formula I'm supposed to use. I gave it a try anyway, though. Coulomb's Law seems perfectly reasonable until I realize that I don't have a value for distance. All the same, I multiplied 8.988E9 by 7.6E-6 and 24E-6 and assumed my force would equal 1.63941r^2 N.
Then, since work is measured in joules and so is potential energy, I tried to use the formula W=Force x distance (and I still don't know the distance), giving me something like 1.63941r^3 Joules.
And if I wasn't already lost, I notice that electric potential is supposed to be measured in volts. But since the question doesn't ask for volts, all that's left is for me to solve for r.
I try to solve for r by means of 1.63941r3=110, which gives me 4.06 (4.1) meters.
Since the question wants the answer in cm, I used 4.1x10^2 cm.

Obviously, I got the answer wrong.
It's no surprise, seeing as how I'm just sort of drowning in a vast ocean of numbers.

Can I get a metaphorical life preserver?

Physics news on Phys.org
None of the equations that you have listed are related to potential energy. Look in the chapter/section of your textbook that talks about potential energy and read carefully what is said. Then try again.

Other misconceptions that you have

1. Work is equal to force*distance only if the force does not change as the distance changes. This is not the case here.

2. Electric potential (measured in Volts) is usually represented by the symbol V and is not the same as potential energy (measured in Joules) that is usually represented by the symbol U.

Actually, that was probably the best advice I could have got. Silly as it sounds, I managed to completely overlook that formula as I was writing my lecture notes.
Thanks for the advice.

Related to Point charges and potential electric energy

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an electric charge that is concentrated at a single point, with no physical size or volume. It is often used as a simplification in mathematical models to represent a charged particle.

2. How are point charges related to electric potential energy?

Point charges interact with each other through the electric force, which can do work and result in a change in potential energy. The electric potential energy between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential (also known as voltage) is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy stored in a system of point charges due to their arrangement and interactions.

4. Can point charges have both positive and negative electric potential energy?

Yes, a point charge can have both positive and negative electric potential energy depending on its location and the location of other charges in the system. A positive charge will have positive potential energy when it is in a region of high positive potential, and it will have negative potential energy when it is in a region of high negative potential.

5. How is electric potential energy calculated for a system of multiple point charges?

The electric potential energy of a system of multiple point charges is calculated by summing the potential energy between each pair of charges. This can be done using the formula U = kq1q2/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r is the distance between them.