Point Charge Problem (Not in a straight line)

In summary, the two point charges, 2.0 uC and -2.0 uC, located at points (0, 0.30m) and (0, -0.30m) respectively, exert a total electric force of 0.35952N on a third point charge of 5.0 uC located at point (0.40, 0). To find the direction of this force, the distance between the charges is calculated using Pythagorean theorem. Then, the force is broken into its components in the x and y directions. The angle in degrees clockwise from the +x direction can be found using trigonometric functions.
Chandasouk
Point charge 2.0 uC is located at X= 0, X= 0.30m , point charge -2.0uC is located at X= 0 Y= -0.30m . What are (a)the magnitude and (b)direction of the total electric force that these charges exert on a third point charge Q= 5.0 uC at X= 0.40 , Y= 0?

I drew a diagram of what was going on and used Pythagorean theorem to find out that the distance between Q1 and Q is .50m as well as Q2 and Q. I then broke Q into its components and solved for (F1 on Q)x and (F1 on Q)y. But first

(F1 on Q) = (8.988*10^9)[(2*10^-60 * (5*10^-6)/(.50m)2] = 0.35952N

(F1 on Q)x= 0.35952N*cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = 0.35952N(.40/.50) = 0.287616N

(F1 on Q)Y= -0.35952N*sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = -0.35952N(.30/.50) = -0.215712N

Where do I go from here? And how do I find theta?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I got the force but how do I find the angle in degrees clockwise from the +x direction?

Related to Point Charge Problem (Not in a straight line)

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical particle with a finite electrical charge but with negligible physical size. It is used in physics to simplify the calculations of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is a point charge different from a regular charge?

A regular charge refers to a physical object with a finite size that carries an electrical charge. A point charge, on the other hand, has no physical size and is only used for theoretical calculations.

3. What is the formula for the electric field of a point charge?

The formula for the electric field of a point charge is E=kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

4. Can a point charge have a negative charge?

Yes, a point charge can have a negative charge. In fact, the concept of a point charge does not specify the sign of the charge. It can be positive or negative, depending on the situation.

5. How do you calculate the force on another point charge due to a point charge?

The formula for the force between two point charges is F=kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r is the distance between them. This formula is known as Coulomb's law.