Point Charge Problem: Find Force Magnitude & Direction

In summary, three identical point charges of 2.0x10-6C are placed on the x-axis with one at the origin, one at x=50cm, and one at x=100cm. The magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, resulting in a value of 0.36N to the right. However, if the charges have the same charge, they should not be attracted to each other.
PetetheGreek

Homework Statement

Three identical point charges of 2.0x10-6C are placed on the x-axis. The firs charge is at the origin, the second to the right at x= 50cm, and the third is at 100 cm mark. What are the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force which acts on the charge at the origin?
physics.jpg

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law
physics-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm coming up with 0.36N to the right but I'm not sure if it's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
PetetheGreek said:

Homework Statement

Three identical point charges of 2.0x10-6C are placed on the x-axis. The firs charge is at the origin, the second to the right at x= 50cm, and the third is at 100 cm mark. What are the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force which acts on the charge at the origin?
physics.jpg

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law
physics-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm coming up with 0.36N to the right but I'm not sure if it's right.
I have something different. If you showed your working, perhaps we could point out where you've gone wrong.

hootenanny said:
i have something different. If you showed your working, perhaps we could point out where you've gone wrong.

(9e9)(2.0e-6)(2.0e-6)/(.1)2 = 0.36 and since its positive it goes to the right

well if they have the same charge they shouldn't be attracted to one another...

Related to Point Charge Problem: Find Force Magnitude & Direction

1. What is a point charge problem?

A point charge problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the force between two charged particles that are treated as point charges, meaning they are small enough to be considered as having no size or shape.

2. How is the force magnitude calculated in a point charge problem?

The force magnitude is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the direction of the force in a point charge problem?

The direction of the force is determined by the charges of the particles. Like charges repel each other, so the force will be repulsive, while opposite charges attract each other, resulting in an attractive force.

4. Can the distance between the charges affect the force magnitude in a point charge problem?

Yes, the force magnitude will decrease as the distance between the charges increases, due to the inverse square relationship in Coulomb's Law.

5. How is the direction of the force represented in a point charge problem?

The direction of the force is typically represented using vector notation, with an arrow pointing in the direction of the force and the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force.