Point charge at the center af a cube

In summary: Area of top surface is 4m^2. Flux is a scalar quantityIn summary, we can use Gauss's law to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface enclosing a point charge. In this specific scenario, a 10 nC point charge is at the center of a 2.0m x 2.0m x 2.0 m cube. By symmetry, the flux out of each side is equal, and thus, the electric flux through the top surface of the cube is 1/6th of the total flux, which is equal to 1129.94 C/Nm^2. This can also be expressed as .19 kN m^2/C or 1/6th of the
Mandaz
A 10 nC point charge is at the center of a 2.0m x 2.0m x 2.0 m cube. What is the electric flux through the top surface of the cube?

related equations:

gauss's law -- Qin/e0

e0 = 8.85 x 10 ^-12 C^2/Nm^2

my attempt:

10 x 10^-9 C
________________________ = 1129.94 C/Nm^2
8.85 x 10 ^-12 C^2/Nm^2

the real answer:

10 x 10^-9 C
________________________ = .19 kN m^2/C
6 x (8.85 x 10 ^-12 C^2/Nm^2)

i do get what they did! Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice they ask about the flux through the top of the cube, not the whole cube. Gauss's Law applies to the flux through a closed surface enclosing a charge. Just the top of the cube is not a closed surface.

Think about the symmetry of the problem, though.

i multiply by 1/6 because they only want one side of the cube, is that right.

i do not get what you mean by it will no longer be considered a closed surface because they only want one side.

Mandaz said:
i multiply by 1/6 because they only want one side of the cube, is that right.

i do not get what you mean by it will no longer be considered a closed surface because they only want one side.

That is right.

What I meant was that the top of the cube alone is not a closed surface, it does not enclose the charge (or anything) by itself. Because of that, Gauss's law does not apply to the top surface alone. You apply Gauss's law to the cube as a whole, and by symmetry the flux out of each side is equal, and so must be 1/6th the total.

okay that makes a lot more sense now! thank you very much for all your help

Last edited:
Because there are total 6 surfaces in a cube so that multiply by 6.

Related to Point charge at the center af a cube

1. What is a point charge at the center of a cube?

A point charge at the center of a cube refers to a situation in which an electric charge is placed at the exact center of a cube-shaped object.

2. How does the location of the point charge affect the electric field?

The location of the point charge at the center of the cube results in a symmetrical electric field, with equal magnitude and direction at all points on the surface of the cube.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a point on the surface of the cube?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a point on the surface of the cube is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point on the surface of the cube.

4. How does the electric field change if the point charge is moved from the center of the cube?

If the point charge is moved from the center of the cube, the electric field will become asymmetrical, with varying magnitude and direction at different points on the surface of the cube.

5. What are some real-life applications of a point charge at the center of a cube?

One real-life application of a point charge at the center of a cube is in the design of electronic devices, where the symmetrical electric field can help ensure equal distribution of charge and prevent any malfunctions. It is also used in certain types of particle accelerators to study the behavior of charged particles.