PNP Biploar Junction Transistor Energy Band Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses sketching the energy band diagram for a PNP Bipolar Junction Transistor in different biasing conditions. The first two cases, thermal equilibrium and active region, are sketched but there is a request for a diagram of the cutoff region. A link is provided to a PDF which contains the requested diagram, as well as backup options in case the PDF is no longer accessible. The diagram for the cutoff region is described as a mirror image of the
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

Consider a PNP Biploar Junction Transistor uniformly doped in each region. Sketch the energy ban ddiagram for the case when the transistor is biased in

a)In thermal equilibrium
b)biased in the active region
c)biased in the cutoff (depletion) region

Homework Equations

None, this is a problem asked to sketch (To an approximate scale) the energy band diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched the first two, but neither my book or the notes contained an example of a PNP Bipolar Junction Transistor's energy band diagram at a cutoff region. can anyone show me a site or include a diagram of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I registered here specifically because I wanted an answer to this and couldn't find it--until I stumbled on http://www.ece.umn.edu/academics/students/graduate/documents/prelims/Fall_2006/Fall%202006%20-%20Semiconductor%20Devices.pdf PDF. For anyone else who googles this question and comes across this answer--you're welcome.

Backups in case PDF goes down: imgur tinypic postimage pasteboard

Text description: it's a mirror image of the PNP active diagram. There's a small hill at first and then a steep drop until it levels off.

ASCII representation (imagine @ as spaces):

@ -
- @@-
@@@ -
@@@@ - - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to PNP Biploar Junction Transistor Energy Band Diagram

1. What is a PNP bipolar junction transistor?

A PNP bipolar junction transistor (BJT) is a type of transistor that is composed of three layers of a semiconductor material, typically silicon. It consists of a p-type layer sandwiched between two n-type layers, creating two p-n junctions. The PNP BJT is one of the three basic types of bipolar transistors, along with the NPN BJT and the PNP Darlington transistor.

2. How does a PNP BJT work?

A PNP BJT works by controlling the flow of current between the collector and emitter terminals through the use of a small current at the base terminal. When a positive voltage is applied to the base, it creates an electric field that allows current to flow from the collector to the emitter. This process is known as amplification and is the basis for the use of BJTs in electronic circuits.

3. What is the energy band diagram of a PNP BJT?

The energy band diagram of a PNP BJT shows the energy levels of the three layers of semiconductor material and how they are affected by the applied voltage and current. The energy levels of the p-type layer are higher than those of the n-type layers, creating a barrier that controls the flow of electrons and holes through the transistor.

4. How is the energy band diagram of a PNP BJT different from that of an NPN BJT?

The energy band diagram of a PNP BJT is essentially the same as that of an NPN BJT, except that the positions of the p-type and n-type layers are reversed. In a PNP BJT, the p-type layer is sandwiched between two n-type layers, while in an NPN BJT, the n-type layer is sandwiched between two p-type layers.

5. What are the applications of PNP BJTs?

PNP BJTs have a wide range of applications in electronic devices, including amplifiers, switches, oscillators, and logic circuits. They are commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and radio frequency (RF) circuits. PNP BJTs are also used in the construction of integrated circuits (ICs) and are an essential component in modern electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and televisions.