PN-junctions: is the voltage measurable? Closed circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring voltage over a pn-junction diode. It is suggested that the voltage difference may not be measurable due to the formation of a new pn-junction when a metal wire is attached to the P-region. It is also questioned whether a p-side and metal conductor can form such a junction. The conversation ends with a suggestion to observe the electric field in the surrounding as a way to measure voltage.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

If I put a voltmeter over a (pn-junction) diode, do I measure anything?

I would intuitively say "no".

Is the following picture correct?

So let's say the P-region is to the right, N-region to the left. If I were to attach a voltmeter across it, I'd have to attach a metal wire to the P-region. Won't this result into a new PN-junction? Or a P-metal conductor junction? Thermal diffusion would drive the metal conductor electrons into the P-junction, and the holes from the latter into the former, no? This would imply two things, it seems (if true...):
- the voltage difference is not measurable (because the netto effect is made zero by the new pn-junction due to the metal contacts as explained above?)
- when we close a diode with a metal wire, no current will flow, not even temporarily (or only in a selected region), and the netto voltage around the circuit will be zero due to two non-zero voltage differences

Am I way off? Is it impossible for a p-side and metal conductor to form such a junction? I've only had introductory courses on these matters, so I don't pretend to be knowledgeable on these things. I have tried googling a lot, but it's hard to find answers on these questions.

If I'm wrong, what is the right way to see these things? Or can you point me to a good source?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also asked myself that question. Even if you don't close the circuit, the electric field should be observable, e.g. by accelerating electric charges in the surrounding much like in piezoelectric crystals.

Related to PN-junctions: is the voltage measurable? Closed circuit?

1. Is the voltage measurable for PN-junctions?

Yes, the voltage across a PN-junction can be measured using a voltmeter. This voltage is known as the junction voltage or barrier voltage.

2. How is the voltage of a PN-junction measured?

The voltage of a PN-junction can be measured by connecting a voltmeter across the junction. The positive lead of the voltmeter should be connected to the P-side of the junction, while the negative lead should be connected to the N-side. The voltmeter will then display the junction voltage.

3. Can the voltage of a PN-junction be negative?

Yes, the voltage of a PN-junction can be negative. The junction voltage is dependent on the type of semiconductor materials used and the direction of the current flow. In some cases, the voltage may be negative.

4. What happens to the voltage of a PN-junction in a closed circuit?

In a closed circuit, the voltage across a PN-junction will depend on the direction of the current flow. If the current is flowing from the P-side to the N-side, the junction voltage will be positive. However, if the current is flowing from the N-side to the P-side, the junction voltage will be negative.

5. How does the voltage affect the behavior of a PN-junction?

The voltage across a PN-junction is a critical factor that determines the behavior of the junction. It affects the flow of current through the junction, and can also cause the junction to switch between conducting and non-conducting states. A higher voltage can also lead to breakdown of the junction, causing it to fail.