PN Junction open conditions conservation of energy

In summary: The contact potentials occur where the metal contacts connect to the bulk n+ and p+ semiconductors. Thermodynamics conspires that the contact potentials exactly counterbalance the built-in potential in a closed circuit, preventing you from drawing current from the barrier.
SpartanG345

When a PN juction is in the open circuit condition, my textbooks says the following.

"The voltage measured between the terminals is zero. That is the junction Voltage Vo does not appear across between the diode terminals.This is because of the contact voltages existing at the metal-semiconductor junctions at the diode terminals, which counter and exactly balance the barrier voltage."

Otherwise the there would be a violation of the conservation of energy.

I am not sure what this means

if the anode is at 0v and the cathode is at 0v what are the "contact voltages existing at the metal-semiconductor junctions at the diode terminals"?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a contact potential when you make electrical contact between any two materials which have a different work functions (affinity for electrons). Normally (in thermal equilibrium) you can't measure this potential as they always cancel each other out and thus add to zero around a closed loop.

If you don't have thermal equilibrium however then the voltages don't necessarily cancel and you get a net potential around a closed loop. This is how a thermo-couple works and is also how a photovoltaic cell (solar cell) works, disturbing the thermal equilibrium by adding heat or light to one of the junctions.

so wait this contact potentials occur right next to the depletion region?

I still can't visualise the potential graph

Last edited:
SpartanG345 said:
Yes the depletion region coincides with the electric field that produces the contact potential.

This is a picture of my interpretation so far.

2011-03-13_1941.png

The contact charges occur in the boundary of the depletion region. The region where the contact charges occurs is not between the boundary of to different materials.
I am wondering what causes these contact charges.

I think it may be localised build up of positive wholes and electrons (minority charge carriers). Is this correct?

Also is there a limit to the magnitude of the contact charge? If you have 2 very large positive and negative charges which were separated somehow you would expect there to be a measurable potential between the two terminals.

Last edited:
edit...

I think it may be localised build up of majority charge carriers electrons in the n material ect

SpartanG345 said:

I still can't visualise the potential graph
No. The barrier or built-in voltage exists across the junction, while the contact potentials occur where the metal contacts connect to the bulk n+ and p+ semiconductors. Thermodynamics conspires that the contact potentials exactly counterbalance the built-in potential in a closed circuit, preventing you from drawing current from the barrier.

I looked around online and found a consicse discussion with diagrams here:
"ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering.../lecture5annotat.pdf"[/URL]
go to p. 17-18

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is.

Related to PN Junction open conditions conservation of energy

What is a PN junction?

A PN junction is a type of semiconductor device that is formed by joining together a layer of P-type (positive) material and a layer of N-type (negative) material. This junction forms a barrier that allows for the flow of electric current in one direction.

What does it mean for a PN junction to be in open conditions?

In open conditions, the PN junction is not connected to any external circuit. This means that there is no flow of electric current through the junction and the device is not actively functioning.

Why is the conservation of energy important in a PN junction in open conditions?

In open conditions, the PN junction is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that there is no net flow of charge or energy. The conservation of energy ensures that any energy present in the junction will remain constant and will not be lost or gained.

How does the conservation of energy apply to a PN junction in open conditions?

The conservation of energy in a PN junction in open conditions is governed by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Therefore, the total amount of energy in the junction must remain constant.

What happens if the conservation of energy is not maintained in a PN junction in open conditions?

If the conservation of energy is not maintained in a PN junction in open conditions, the device may become unstable and may not function properly. This could result in the junction becoming damaged or even destroyed. It is important to ensure that the conservation of energy is maintained in order to maintain the stability and functionality of the junction.