Plushie Jail

DaveC426913
Gold Member
1000003154.jpg

Jail for plushies.

Materials: Wood and shock cord
Construction and stringing: 6h
Painting and shellacing: 6d
Cost: only about $15 more than it would have cost to buy a comparable product from Ikea.
Project Success Rating*: 10/10

* success rating is derived from counting number of fingers remaining as of project completion

Likes docnet, Rive and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a fun project. I had to look up what a Plushie was, but TIL. :smile:

Another angle showing the grid of shock cord. All gaps are 5.5"
1714782631631.jpeg

BTW, child safety has been factored in.
Shock cord is trivial to move aside. Toddler can just walk through "bars". Yet it is taut enough that there is no way to stretch it lengthwise to get it into a potentially dangerous loop.

Likes phinds, difalcojr, Rive and 2 others
Nice design.
As long as he cannot pull the whole thing onto himself as he falls backwards, pulling the cords toward himself, and the whole thing comes over onto him. You have probably already thought of that, but just wanted to bring that up. Redundancy is good for safety. Same for the dresser that I never would have thought of. But have seen sad news stories on TV of small children dying just from being kids, acting too rambunctious, as children do, with big, unsecured objects, pulling them onto themselves.
That cord design of yours looks good for a top bunkbed too, maybe, for those who fall out of bed there too.

Time was that everyone used a 'play pen' for their kids (I did, with two separate batches of kids) but now they seem to have lost favour: "cruel and unnatural punishment" (lol) by the Woke. Likewise with the reins that all kids used to be 'controlled with.
I'd comment that the 'pen' is a bit on the small side but if that's the available space then, as a short term holding facility it looks good to me. Was there an objection to suitably spaced dowells or is it a storage problem?
Time passes . . . . . .
OMG I got the totally wrong take on this thing. It's to keep the toys in and not the kids!!!! :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
sophiecentaur said:
OMG I got the totally wrong take on this thing. It's to keep the toys in and not the kids!!!! :biggrin:
What's wrong with either? You know sooner or later kids will climb in. It's a kid's nature to use things in manner not intended.

Averagesupernova said:
What's wrong with either? You know sooner or later kids will climb in. It's a kid's nature to use things in manner not intended.
For the record, "sooner or later" turned out to be about twelve seconds.
1000003303.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre, sophiecentaur and Averagesupernova