Plotting pressure distribution of fluid flow in a pipe

In summary, The conversation discusses the process of analyzing the flow of water in a subsea pipe and determining the wall temperature of the flowline. The person has derived an equation for the energy equation and is unsure about how to determine the inner wall temperature. They consider using the operating temperature of the flowline or the ambient sea temperature, but are unsure which is the best approach. The conversation also mentions a steady state scenario and includes an attachment of the derived equation.
shevir1
Hi all,

I am analysing the flow of water in a subsea pipe, and have been getting stuck in trying to solve the energy equation to plot a temperature distribution across the pipe diameter

I have derived the equation as such seen in my attachement. But my main question is how should/would I determine the wall temperature of the flowline.

Initially I was assuming to take the operating temperature of the flow line to be the temperature of the inner wall. Am I correct in saying this?
Also there is the ambient sea temperature which could well have an effect on the innerwall temperature due to convection.

What would be the best way for me to determine the inner wall temperature of the flowline?

Assuming operating temp of flowline is:
Assuming ambient sea temp of flowline is:
Steady state

Please see attached my derivation of the energy equation which then results in my final equation I am to use.

Engineering news on Phys.org
see pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_5879.JPG
    IMG_5879.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 504

Related to Plotting pressure distribution of fluid flow in a pipe

1. How do you plot the pressure distribution of fluid flow in a pipe?

To plot the pressure distribution of fluid flow in a pipe, you will need to use a pressure sensor or pressure transducer to measure the pressure at various points along the pipe. This data can then be plotted on a graph, with the x-axis representing the distance along the pipe and the y-axis representing the pressure.

2. What factors can affect the pressure distribution in a pipe?

Several factors can affect the pressure distribution in a pipe, including the velocity and density of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, and any changes in elevation or direction of the pipe. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or restrictions in the pipe can also affect the pressure distribution.

3. How can you interpret the pressure distribution graph?

The pressure distribution graph shows the pressure at different points along the pipe. The slope of the graph represents the change in pressure over a given distance, with steeper slopes indicating higher pressure gradients. The highest point on the graph represents the point of highest pressure, while the lowest point represents the point of lowest pressure.

4. What is the significance of plotting pressure distribution in fluid flow?

Plotting the pressure distribution in fluid flow is important for understanding the behavior of fluids in a pipe and how different factors can affect the pressure. It can also help identify potential issues or areas of concern, such as high pressure gradients or pressure drops, which can impact the efficiency and performance of the fluid system.

5. Can the pressure distribution in a pipe change over time?

Yes, the pressure distribution in a pipe can change over time due to various factors, such as changes in flow rate, temperature, or the condition of the pipe. It is important to regularly monitor and plot the pressure distribution to ensure the system is functioning properly and to identify any changes or abnormalities that may indicate a problem.