Plotting I/Io vs Phi: 3-Slit System w/650 nm Wavelength

In summary: I/Io:I/Io = (sin(3(2πd/λ)sin(θ/2)/ (θ/2))^2 We can plug in the values for d, λ, and w from the problem to get our final equation:I/Io = (sin(3(2π*0.00128 m)/(0.00065 m)sin(θ/2)/ (θ/2))^2 I/Io = (sin(0.01192θ/2)/ (0.01192θ/2))^2 I/Io = (sin(0.00596θ)/ (0.00596θ))^2
Evaaa

Homework Statement

A three slit system is illuminated by light with a wavelength of 650 nm. The slits are evenly spaced with a slit space of 1.28 mm and a slit width of 0.16 mm

A) Using Excel, plot the modulated interference pattern for +or - 0.5° or so. Plot I/Io.
b) Are there any missing orders?
c) Draw a phasor diagram for the second minima from the center of the interference pattern.

Homework Equations

im not really sure which equations to use, but i assume i should use:
I= Io[(sin2(N*phi/2)/(sin2(phi/2)]
phi=[ (2*pi)/ lamda ] * d*sin(theta)
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured N would equal 3 because there is three slits.
and phi would equal 256.4 after plugging in all the values (+0.5 degrees).
but i have no clue how to find Io or how to plot the graph.

i know that i have to plot I/Io vs phi, and that at phi equal to 0, i have a maximum bright fringe that should be 9Io, and then at phi equal to pi i have another bright fringe (but its intensity is Io) an then at phi equal to 2pi i have another maxmimum bright fringe.

help?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can help you with this problem. Let's break it down step by step:

Step 1: Finding Io
To find Io, we need to use the equation for the intensity of light in a double-slit interference pattern:

I = Io(sin(θ/2)/ (θ/2))^2

Since we are given a three-slit system, we need to multiply this equation by 3 to account for the three slits. So our final equation for Io becomes:

Io = 3I/(sin(θ/2)/ (θ/2))^2

To find Io, we need to plug in the values given in the problem:

λ = 650 nm
d = 1.28 mm
w = 0.16 mm

We also need to convert the slit width from mm to meters, so w = 0.16 mm = 0.00016 m.

Now we can plug these values into our equation for Io:

Io = 3I/(sin((2πd/λ)sin(θ/2)/ (θ/2))^2

Io = 3I/(sin((2π*0.00128 m)/(0.00065 m)sin(θ/2)/ (θ/2))^2

Io = 9I/(sin(0.00394θ/2)/ (0.00394θ/2))^2

Io = 9I/(sin(0.00197θ)/ (0.00197θ))^2

Io = 9I/((0.00197θ)^2/sin^2(0.00197θ))

Now, we can use this equation to find the value of Io for a given value of θ. For example, if we want to find the intensity at θ = 0, we can plug in θ = 0 into our equation:

Io = 9I/((0.00197*0)^2/sin^2(0.00197*0))

Io = 9I/((0)^2/0)

Since we cannot divide by 0, this means that Io is undefined at θ = 0. This makes sense because at θ = 0, we have a maximum bright fringe, so the intensity is at its maximum value.

Step 2: Plotting the Modulated Interference Pattern
To plot the mod

Related to Plotting I/Io vs Phi: 3-Slit System w/650 nm Wavelength

1. What is the purpose of plotting I/Io vs Phi for a 3-slit system with a 650 nm wavelength?

The purpose of plotting I/Io vs Phi for a 3-slit system with a 650 nm wavelength is to analyze the diffraction pattern produced by the system. This plot helps to visualize the intensity of light at different angles, also known as the diffraction pattern, and allows for the determination of important parameters such as the slit width and the wavelength of light.

2. How is the plot of I/Io vs Phi related to the physical properties of the 3-slit system?

The plot of I/Io vs Phi is directly related to the physical properties of the 3-slit system, such as the slit width and the wavelength of light. The shape and intensity of the diffraction pattern shown in the plot can provide information about these properties, allowing for a better understanding of the system.

3. What is the significance of the 650 nm wavelength used in the plot of I/Io vs Phi?

The 650 nm wavelength used in the plot of I/Io vs Phi is significant because it is within the visible light spectrum and is commonly used in experiments and applications. This wavelength is also used in the plot as a reference point to determine the diffraction pattern and the physical properties of the 3-slit system.

4. Can the plot of I/Io vs Phi be used to determine the number of slits in the system?

Yes, the plot of I/Io vs Phi can be used to determine the number of slits in the system. The plot will show distinct peaks and valleys depending on the number of slits, with a 3-slit system typically producing three peaks. This information can be used along with other parameters to accurately determine the number of slits in the system.

5. How does the plot of I/Io vs Phi change with different wavelengths of light?

The plot of I/Io vs Phi will change with different wavelengths of light. This is because the diffraction pattern and the physical properties of the 3-slit system are dependent on the wavelength of light. Different wavelengths will result in different patterns and intensities, leading to variations in the plot of I/Io vs Phi.