Plotting F=kx Graph for Lab Report

In summary, the student is trying to plot a graph of F=kx but is getting stuck. They need to find the slope of the line and calculate the error.
Nrt
Hi, I need to plot a graph of F=kx for my lab report.

By measuring x, displacement of spring for every mass (20g, 40g,50g) we found k. Now i need to draw F-x graph.

I put my F and x data on graph w/o any problems. But when it comes to draw the line of F=kx i get stuck. Using the line's slope i need to find theoritecal k and calculate the error.

I need to have a graph like this:

http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/tutorials/graph/labgraph.gif

This is my second lab report so i need help to get started and learn how to draw properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure where the problem is. The slope of the straight line created by the plotted data IS k.

AM

It appears either that force is not proportional to distance or you have some error in your data. Can you draw error bars for each point (representing the accuracy range of your data)? Draw a line that passes close to all points within the range of error for each point.

AM

graph i linked is not the real one. I made it up just to show. But it looks something like that.

Its normal that there are errors because the x(dL) was measured with a ruler for every mass atached to spring.

Actually sole purpose of drawing this graph is to see errors and calculate it. So my problem is, i put my data on graph, it looks like in the above link, öow i need my staight line (f=kx) so i can find theoritecal k and calculate the error %. But i don't know how to draw the line. if i give say, 3 to x and f is 3k. k is unknown and the purpose of experiment is to find k. is it the trendline that i need to draw? or is there another way to draw the line?

Nrt said:
http://www.analytictech.com/mb313/regress3.htm

like the figure 2 in this page. how do i get a line like this?
By having data points that form a line.

If your data points do not line up, you might redo the experiment. Try to get more data. You cannot really determine much from three points.

AM

Nrt said:
graph i linked is not the real one. I made it up just to show. But it looks something like that.

Its normal that there are errors because the x(dL) was measured with a ruler for every mass atached to spring.

Actually sole purpose of drawing this graph is to see errors and calculate it. So my problem is, i put my data on graph, it looks like in the above link, öow i need my staight line (f=kx) so i can find theoritecal k and calculate the error %. But i don't know how to draw the line. if i give say, 3 to x and f is 3k. k is unknown and the purpose of experiment is to find k. is it the trendline that i need to draw? or is there another way to draw the line?
You cannot assume that the spring is a perfect Hooke's law spring. Hooke's law really isn't a law. It is just an approximation that has been observed. Nevertheless, your data should form a reasonably straight line. If not, you should do a few more observations so you have more data points.

Give us your data and I might be able to add something more to my previous comments.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
By having data points that form a line.

If your data points do not line up, you might redo the experiment. Try to get more data. You cannot really determine much from three points.

AM

Thx for help.

Related to Plotting F=kx Graph for Lab Report

1. What is the purpose of plotting a F=kx graph for a lab report?

The purpose of plotting a F=kx graph for a lab report is to visually represent the relationship between force and displacement for a particular system. This graph allows for a better understanding of the behavior and characteristics of the system, and can also be used to calculate the spring constant, k.

2. How do I plot a F=kx graph for my lab report?

To plot a F=kx graph for a lab report, you will need to collect data by applying different forces to the system and measuring the corresponding displacements. Then, plot the force values on the x-axis and the displacement values on the y-axis. Finally, draw a best-fit line through the data points to determine the slope, which represents the spring constant, k.

3. What does the slope of a F=kx graph represent?

The slope of a F=kx graph represents the spring constant, k, which is a measure of the stiffness of the system. A steeper slope indicates a higher spring constant and a stiffer system, while a flatter slope indicates a lower spring constant and a more flexible system.

4. Can I use a F=kx graph to determine the force needed to displace a system by a certain distance?

Yes, you can use a F=kx graph to determine the force needed to displace a system by a certain distance by rearranging the equation to solve for force (F). The force can be calculated by multiplying the displacement (x) by the spring constant (k).

5. How can I use a F=kx graph to analyze the behavior of a system?

A F=kx graph can be used to analyze the behavior of a system by examining the shape of the graph. A linear graph indicates that the system follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement. A non-linear graph may indicate that the system has reached its elastic limit and is no longer following Hooke's Law.