Plotting a circular vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch a vector field and verify that all vectors from a given equation have the same length. The equation is G(x,y) = \frac{-iy + jx}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} and it is shown that no matter what values are plugged in, the magnitude of the resulting vector will always be 1. The conversation also suggests taking the magnitude of an arbitrary vector and simplifying it to show that the magnitude is always 1.
bitrex

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to sketch the vector field and verify that all the vectors of the following equation have the same length.

Homework Equations

[tex]G(x,y) = \frac{-iy + jx}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I start plugging in numbers, for example the point (1,1) into [tex]\frac{-iy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex] and into [tex]\frac{jy}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex] I move minus 1 unit along the x axis, and up one unit along the Y axis. So that vector has a length of 1 unit. But if I put in (2,2) to the same equation I move [tex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{8}}[/tex] in the negative X direction and the same in the positive Y direction. I don't see ho..Oh. Now that I'm typing it out in LaTeX I see it. If I take the magnitude of the new i,j vector I get from evaluating the equation, I'm going to get 1 aren't I? And no matter what values I plug into the original equation, the magnitude of the resulting vector is always going to work out to 1. Does that sound correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey bitrex, sounds like you're heading in teh right direction

try taking the magintude of an arbitrary vector (in terms of x,y) and see if it simplifies to one, then you've shown it for every x,y, though you may have to be careful at the origin.

Then plotting will only involve the direction of the vector as the magnitude is constant.

What is
[tex]\sqrt{\left(\frac{-y}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}\right)^2[/tex]
It's that easy.

Related to Plotting a circular vector field

1. What is a circular vector field?

A circular vector field is a type of vector field that has vectors arranged in a circular pattern around a central point. This pattern can be seen as a spiral or concentric circles. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent the direction and magnitude of a force or velocity at different points in space.

2. How is a circular vector field plotted?

A circular vector field can be plotted by first determining the direction and magnitude of the vectors at different points in space. This can be done using mathematical equations or by experimentally measuring the force or velocity at those points. Then, the vectors are drawn on a graph with the central point as the origin, and the direction and length of each vector is represented by an arrow.

3. What is the significance of a circular vector field?

A circular vector field can provide valuable information about the behavior and interactions of objects in a system. For example, in a gravitational field, the circular pattern of the vectors can show how objects will orbit around a central mass. In a fluid flow, the circular vectors can show the direction and strength of the flow at different points.

4. How is a circular vector field different from a linear vector field?

A circular vector field is different from a linear vector field in that the vectors in a linear field are arranged in a straight line, while those in a circular field are arranged in a circular pattern. Additionally, the vectors in a linear field have a constant direction and magnitude, while those in a circular field may vary in both direction and magnitude at different points.

5. What are some real-life applications of circular vector fields?

Circular vector fields have many applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and gravitational fields. They also have practical applications in fields such as aerodynamics, meteorology, and robotics, where understanding the behavior of objects in circular motion is crucial.