Plotting a Beam Deflection Graph

In summary, the beam experiences zero deflection at the point of support, and then experiences a bending moment as it is stepped out along the beam.
stackemup

Homework Statement

I need to plot a graph showing the deflection of the beam across its length giving a value of x at every 1m.
The youngs modulus for the beam is 210 GNm^-2 and the moment of inertia is 54 X 10^-7 m^4

Homework Equations

Really unsure where to start on this one.

I have found the equation M/IE= (d^2 y)/(dx^2) but I am unsure where to go from here

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Beam.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 286
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone

stackemup said:

Homework Statement

I need to plot a graph showing the deflection of the beam across its length giving a value of x at every 1m.
The youngs modulus for the beam is 210 GNm^-2 and the moment of inertia is 54 X 10^-7 m^4

Homework Equations

Really unsure where to start on this one.

I have found the equation M/IE= (d^2 y)/(dx^2) but I am unsure where to go from here

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you know how to calculate M for the beam with the given loading?

I have calculated the bending moments at 1m intervals but I am not sure about calculating the internal moment?

stackemup said:
I have calculated the bending moments at 1m intervals but I am not sure about calculating the internal moment?
It's not clear what you mean by 'internal moment'. The M which determines the deflection of the beam is the bending moment.

In that case, to answer your question, yes i know how to calculate the bending moment(s) of the beam.

SteamKing, can you please advise where I need to progress to from this?

stackemup said:
SteamKing, can you please advise where I need to progress to from this?
You are asked to plot a graph. Does mean you are expected to do this numerically, rather than by solving a differential equation? I'll assume so.

Starting at the point of support (x=0), you have zero deflection and zero gradient.
You can use the equations you have to find the bending moment there, and hence find (d^2 y)/(dx^2).
If you now step out a distance dx along the beam, what would you estimate y and dy/dx to be there?

I have now found the solution. Thanks for the help.

Related to Plotting a Beam Deflection Graph

1. How do I plot a beam deflection graph?

To plot a beam deflection graph, you will need to first collect data on the deflection of the beam at various points. This can be done by using a measuring device such as a ruler or laser level. Once you have collected the data, you can plot it on a graph with the deflection on the y-axis and the distance along the beam on the x-axis.

2. What factors affect the shape of a beam deflection graph?

The shape of a beam deflection graph is affected by several factors, including the material and dimensions of the beam, the load applied to the beam, and the support conditions of the beam. Other factors such as temperature and moisture can also play a role in the deflection of a beam.

3. How do I interpret a beam deflection graph?

Interpreting a beam deflection graph involves understanding the relationship between the load applied to the beam and the resulting deflection. A steeper slope on the graph indicates a larger deflection for a given load, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller deflection. The point at which the graph levels off is the maximum deflection of the beam.

4. What is the significance of a beam deflection graph?

A beam deflection graph is significant in understanding the structural behavior of a beam. It can help engineers and architects determine the appropriate size and material for a beam to support a given load. It can also be used to identify any potential weaknesses or flaws in a beam's design.

5. Can a beam deflection graph be used to predict failure?

While a beam deflection graph can provide valuable information about the behavior of a beam, it cannot be used to predict failure on its own. Other factors, such as the strength and durability of the beam material, must also be considered when assessing the potential for failure. A beam deflection graph should be used as a tool in conjunction with other engineering principles to ensure the safety and stability of a structure.