Please shoot this, somebody (Laura Mersini-Houghton paper)

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the author of the paper claims that a cosmological constant, if present, would cause the universe to reverse its arrow of time, which is in contradiction with observations.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I noticed this on arxiv today. It is by a legitimate academic researcher and it MAY be reasonable for all I know. I can't judge. She is at the UNC-Chapel Hill department of Physics and Astronomy. But my initial impression is weirdness. I would like to be able to go to sleep tonight confident that it is OK to ignore this paper. Anybody want to dispose of it?

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0609006
The Arrow of Time Forbids a Positive Cosmological Constant [itex]\Lambda[/itex]
Laura Mersini-Houghton
6 pages

"Motivated by the mounting evidence for dark energy, here we explore the consequences of a fundamental cosmological constant [itex]\Lambda[/itex] for our universe. We show that when the gravitational entropy of a pure DeSitter state ultimately wins over matter, then the thermodynamic arrow of time in our universe must reverse in scales of order a Hubble time. This phenomenon arises from the gravitational instabilities that develop during a DeSitter epoch and turn catastrophic. A reversed arrow of time is clearly in disagreement with observations. Thus we are led to conclude: Nature forbids a fundamental [itex]\Lambda[/itex]. Or else general relativity must be modified in the IR regime when [itex]\Lambda[/itex] dominates the expansion of the Universe."

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Before the article by Laura Mersini-Houghton is ripped to pieces by the defenders of conventional cosmological faith, probably on technical grounds that I won't understand, let me take issue with one point it makes, namely that:

marcus said:
(from the article by LMH) ...A reversed arrow of time is clearly in disagreement with observations.

How do we know the direction of the arrow of time?

If we ourselves are an integral part of an holistic universe, reversing the arrow of time will affect all we are, as well as the universe we perceive. Our memories of the past may be created by physical processes that we call "irreversible", but they can only be so described relative to the arrow of time itself. We can't tell what this direction is, in an absolute sense, by perceiving that the total entropy of the universe increases relative to our perception of the flow of time.

On the face of it, Laura Mersini-Houghton's argument is as unsound as the proposal of Philip Gosse, who in 1857 argued that the world (and the Universe?) was created only a few thousand years ago (say in 4004 B.C.); complete with all that was needed for it to function just as we find it does, as I mentioned in another thread.

Perhaps Laura Mersini-Houghton's article can be shown to be wrong for better reasons. Or perhaps not!

I'll follow this thread with interest, Marcus.

Last edited:
marcus said:
I noticed this on arxiv today. It is by a legitimate academic researcher and it MAY be reasonable for all I know. I can't judge. She is at the UNC-Chapel Hill department of Physics and Astronomy. But my initial impression is weirdness. I would like to be able to go to sleep tonight confident that it is OK to ignore this paper. Anybody want to dispose of it?

Although I really do hope we measure a non-zero dw/dz (cosmological constants are so boring), I'm not entirely convinced of what this paper concludes. It seems to me that all of this analysis was done in DeSitter space...and we don't live in DeSitter space. If there is a cosmological constant, then DeSitter space will be approached as the matter energy density becomes negligibly small. If their analysis is correct, I wouldn't expect any "time reversals" until some time in the future...

oldman said:
We can't tell what this direction is, in an absolute sense, by perceiving that the total entropy of the universe increases relative to our perception of the flow of time.

This also concerned me, though if you're right, then the paper would seem to predict a contracting, rather than expanding, universe. This would also be in contradiction with observations.

Just as a generation ago people began to worry about the entropy of black holes, now they seem to be beginning to worry about the entropy of the cosmological event horizon, which unlike the case of black holes will not evaporate away. That seems to be what this paper is about. See also
This thread and my article The Cosmological Event Horizon

Note:arxiv is not peer reviewed, but has an endorsement system. Established academics, such as the author of the paper in question, are generally able to endorse their own papers.

Now that some Forum Folk have had their say about the refereeing process -- or lack of it --- how about getting back to the validity of the arguments in Laura Mersini-Houghton's article?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Please shoot this, somebody (Laura Mersini-Houghton paper)

1. What is "Please shoot this, somebody" by Laura Mersini-Houghton?

"Please shoot this, somebody" is a scientific paper published by Laura Mersini-Houghton in 2006, which proposed a new explanation for the observed large-scale structure of the universe.

2. What does the title of the paper mean?

The title "Please shoot this, somebody" is a reference to the famous quote by physicist Niels Bohr, "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it." Mersini-Houghton's paper aims to challenge the current understanding of the universe and calls for further investigation and testing.

3. What is the main argument of the paper?

The main argument of the paper is that the observed large-scale structure of the universe, specifically the alignment of quasars, is best explained by the existence of a parallel universe that collided with our own in the early stages of the Big Bang.

4. What evidence does the paper provide to support its argument?

The paper presents data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, which shows a statistically significant alignment of quasars in the universe. Mersini-Houghton's theory also predicts the existence of gravitational waves, which have since been detected by the LIGO collaboration.

5. What has been the response to this paper?

The paper has sparked a lot of debate and controversy in the scientific community. Some researchers have praised the paper for its bold and innovative ideas, while others have criticized it for lacking sufficient evidence and being too speculative. Further studies and experiments are needed to fully validate or refute the claims made in the paper.