Please help with lab experiment

In summary, your experiment shows a proportional relationship between time and force of centripetal, and a possible proportional relationship between velocity and force of centripetal. Thank you for sharing your data and question with us.
phys1618

Homework Statement

We did an experiment mimicking how there's force between the moon and earth. I just want to know how the graph should be between 1.time and Force of centripetal and 2. velocity and Force of centripedal.
is it proportional, inversely proportional, or increases as the other variable increases.

Homework Equations

F=Mass x gravity
velocity= 2pie times radius which is 2.2m

The Attempt at a Solution

this is my data.
kg Fcp=force of centripedal T(s) velocity
.050 .49N .94s 1.34m/s
.070 .69N .70s 1.8 m/s
.090 .88N .68s 1.9 m/s
.110 1.08N .48s 2.63m/s
.130 1.27N .51s 2.46m/s
.150 1.47N .47 2.67m/s
.170 1.67N .39 3.22m/s

For the time vs. Fcp I believe it looks like a proportional graph.
However for velocity vs. Fcp, I'm not sure if its proportional or increases as the other variable increase.

Thank you for all helps and input

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for sharing your data and question. From your experiment, it seems like you are investigating the relationship between time, velocity, and force of centripetal in a system similar to the Earth and moon. Based on your data, it looks like the relationship between time and force of centripetal is indeed proportional. This means that as the time increases, the force of centripetal also increases in a directly proportional manner.

For the relationship between velocity and force of centripetal, it is not as clear cut. Based on your data, it seems like the two variables are also proportional, but it is not a perfect relationship. This could be due to experimental errors or other factors that may have affected your data. In order to determine the exact relationship between these two variables, you may need to collect more data points and analyze them further.

Overall, it is important to keep in mind that in science, there are rarely perfect relationships and there may be other factors at play. It is important to continue to question and investigate in order to better understand the systems we are studying. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for sharing your experiment and data with us. It is always important to carefully analyze and interpret the results of any experiment. Based on your data, it does appear that there is a proportional relationship between time and Force of centripetal, as the force increases as the time increases. This makes sense, as the longer the object is in motion, the more force is required to keep it in its circular path.

For the velocity vs. Force of centripetal graph, it is not as clear. While the force does seem to increase as the velocity increases, it is not a perfect proportional relationship. This could be due to factors such as friction or other external forces acting on the object. It would be helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the data to see if there is a more consistent trend.

Additionally, it is important to note that while your equation for velocity is correct, the equation for force should be F=mass x velocity^2 / radius. This is because the centripetal force is dependent on the square of the velocity, not just the velocity itself.

Overall, it seems like you have conducted a successful experiment and have some interesting data to analyze. I would recommend further investigation and experimentation to fully understand the relationship between velocity and Force of centripetal. Keep up the good work!

Related to Please help with lab experiment

1. What is the purpose of this lab experiment?

The purpose of this lab experiment is to test a hypothesis or collect data to answer a research question. It may also be used to demonstrate a scientific concept or principle.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for this lab experiment?

The materials and equipment needed for this lab experiment will vary depending on the specific experiment. It is important to carefully read the lab instructions and gather all necessary materials before beginning the experiment.

3. How do I conduct this lab experiment?

Follow the step-by-step instructions provided in the lab manual or by your instructor. It is important to carefully follow all instructions and procedures to ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. What safety precautions should I take during this lab experiment?

Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when working with chemicals or hazardous materials. Follow all safety guidelines provided in the lab instructions or by your instructor.

5. What do I do if I encounter unexpected results during this lab experiment?

If you encounter unexpected results during the lab experiment, consult with your instructor for guidance. It may be necessary to repeat the experiment or make adjustments to the procedure to obtain accurate results.

Back