Please help me find Fourier series mistake

In summary, the Fourier sin series expansion of the dirac delta function $\delta(x-a)$ in the half-interval (0,L), (0 < a < L) is given by $$b_n=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^Lf(x)\sin \left (\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right )dx$$ where the interval before the integration is $\frac{L}{2}$ and not also in the divisor of the sin term due to the property of even functions. This means that the interval for the integration is halved, but the interval for the sin term remains as it is.
ognik
Find the Fourier sin series expansion of dirac delta function $\delta(x-a)$ in the half-interval (0,L), (0 < a < L):

Now $b_n = \frac{1}{L} \int_0^L f(x)sin \frac{n \pi x}{L}dx $ - but L should be $\frac{L}{2}$ for this exercise...

So I would get $ \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x)sin \frac{n \pi x}{\frac{L}{2}}dx $ - but the book shows $ \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L \delta(x-a)sin \frac{n \pi x}{L}dx $

I believed that the interval was $ \frac{2}{L}$ - what am I missing please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Find the Fourier sin series expansion of dirac delta function $\delta(x-a)$ in the half-interval (0,L), (0 < a < L):

Now $b_n = \frac{1}{L} \int_0^L f(x)sin \frac{n \pi x}{L}dx $

The formula for the coefficients $b_n$ is $$b_n=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^Lf(x)\sin \left (\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right )dx$$

My question is - why does the formula use $\frac{L}{2}$ as the interval before the integration $(\frac{2}{L} \int ...)$ but not also use $\frac{L}{2}$ in divisor of the sin term which I understand is also the interval?

(Given that I am writing the exam in a couple of hours, a quick reply would be appreciated :-) )

It is related to the fact that for an even function $g(x)$ it holds that

$$ \int_{-a}^a g({x}) d x = 2 \int_0^a g ({x}) d x$$

Related to Please help me find Fourier series mistake

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate a wide variety of functions in mathematics and physics.

2. What are some common mistakes when finding a Fourier series?

Some common mistakes when finding a Fourier series include forgetting to take into account the periodicity of the function, incorrect calculation of coefficients, and not considering the convergence of the series.

3. How can I check if I made a mistake in my Fourier series calculations?

You can check for mistakes in your Fourier series calculations by comparing the series to the original function, checking for symmetry in the coefficients, and verifying that the series converges to the original function.

4. What are some tips for finding mistakes in Fourier series?

Some tips for finding mistakes in Fourier series include double-checking your calculations, using different methods to calculate the coefficients, and seeking help from a tutor or online resources.

5. How important are Fourier series in scientific research?

Fourier series are incredibly important in scientific research as they are used to study and model a wide range of phenomena, from electrical signals to quantum mechanics. They also have applications in areas such as signal processing, data compression, and image reconstruction.