Please check my derivation of the gain of single ended diff amp

In summary: Aol = – g * Rl.The closed loop gain, (due to Rf feedback), is; Acl = Aol / (1 – Aol * Rf ) = eqn; (9).The open loop gain is reduced by the feedback ratio; 1 / (1 + Rf / Rg).For your 2nd stage, another feedback quantity is required for the line up to the plate resistance.The gain will be influenced by the open loop gain. However, without feedback, the gain is from gm and the plate resistance.ThanksIn summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in verifying equations for a full differential amplifier, with the individual seeking assistance and providing a link to a paper they
yungman
I am having a very difficult time verifying the equations for full differential amplifier. I literally read all the articles I can find from Google. Here is one of the question I think the paper by Jim Karki is wrong. The equation is equation (9). I verified the rest of the equation already, only the (9) is wrong. But I want to verify this here first. This is the paper I am referring to:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt310/slyt310.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt310/slyt310.pdf
This is my work to proof the article is wrong.

Challenge on gain of SE diff amp.jpg

I go step by step using Thevenin to get the gain of VOD/VSIG is what the paper claim is VOD/VIN. Please help me verifying.

Thanks

Attachments

• Challenge on gain of SE diff amp.jpg
    Challenge on gain of SE diff amp.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 660
Engineering news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I go step by step using Thevenin to get the gain of VOD/VSIG is what the paper claim is VOD/VIN. Please help me verifying.

Thanks

I agree with your result for VOD/VSIG. Also note that the paper's Eq (9) has an extra factor of 2.

Did you look at the referenced paper by TI: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa054e/sloa054e.pdf which analyzes the full differential amplifier?

Likes yungman
The Electrician said:
I agree with your result for VOD/VSIG. Also note that the paper's Eq (9) has an extra factor of 2.

Did you look at the referenced paper by TI: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa054e/sloa054e.pdf which analyzes the full differential amplifier?
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I read about everything I can find on Google search. Calculating the gain and input impedance is a lot more difficult and un-obvious than I expected. It is actually quite difficult and people still resort iteration method to find the value. I gone through in very detail deriving the article you suggested already. This is my notes that started with the SLOA054E and worked into the second article where I find the problem.

There are other articles that use the closed loop gain K to calculate. But I did simulation with LTSpice, the gain is not even close to as simple as Rf/R1 type. I can't even trust those articles. Most of the articles relate to Fully differential amplifiers are written by Ti, I think I read them all and tried to derived them with no luck. This is the closest I get in calculating the input impedance and gain. You can see 4 pages of notes just to get the input impedance. I still am working on the gain.

Things just got very hard when you go into single ended input driving and differential output. I spent like 3 hours a day for the last 3 weeks on this already. I just don't trust any articles until I can verify every single step of it. And here I am!

Thanks

Attachments

• SE to full differential gain and impedance.pdf
    817.5 KB · Views: 272
You might find this useful: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/fully-differential-op-amp-expression.26029/

Also this thread: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/output-impedance-for-differential-amp-error-in-book.44062/

Your problem could use Shekel's method discussed here: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/two-stage-bjt-amplifier-with-feedback.26710/

Thanks

I scan through the links quickly, they are really not related to my problem. One talked about differential input which is a lot more obvious and easier. If you look at page 3 of my pdf file, you can see I am working on a single end to differential output circuit driven by a triode. The closest circuit of this kind is the high speed differential ADC driver circuit with matching terminating impedance from the source. If you look at some of the datasheet, the gain is not obvious at all.

If you look at the values on page 23, Table 3 of the datasheet of THS4500 http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ths4500.pdf
You will find the values of the resistors to set the gain is not obvious at all. Nothing like the balance differential input that the gain is simple Rf/Rg.

Also have a look here for info on using admittance matrices with opamps: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/admittance-matrix-for-fliege-notch-filter.112366/

Here's the solution to your Figure 2 in the pages of your work attached to post #3. I did this rather quickly so I could have made a mistake, but I think it's correct. It shows the method of Shekel and its power for solving problems of this type. The formulation of the problem actually uses a finite gain for the amplifier, but I allowed it to become infinite to simplify the final expressions for gain and input impedance.

SingleEndedFullDiff1.png

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff1.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff1.png
    5 KB · Views: 458
Likes yungman
I compared my result to the result you get in your Figure 2 work and it's exactly the same expression for Vod/Vin.

Thanks Electrician

I have to look at your matrix tomorrow and likely have more question on how you do it.

But at the mean time, I figured out my question already from you pointing out there is a "2" in the equation. The equation (9) is correct. It assume impedance matching between the source Rs resistance is matching to the termination resistance RT//RIN. So VIN is exactly 1/2 of VSIG. So the gain of VOD/VIN = 2 X VOD/VSIG.

But this does not help me because I am not doing matching impedance in transmission line. This is a tube circuit. the RS is really the internal plate resistance rp of the tube. RT is really the external plate resistance of the tube. For tube circuit, you cannot measure VSIG, it's not accessible. You can only measure the plate voltage which is VIN in my drawing.

But I have very good idea how to get the answer. Thanks for your help. I got my answer. I'll post the equation after I derive it out.

Thanks

yungman said:
But I did simulation with LTSpice, the gain is not even close to as simple as Rf/R1 type.
Can you post the LTspice.asc.txt file, the extra .txt extension allows it to be attached to a PF post.
What model FDA did you use? Please include device.asy.txt and device.sub.txt files.

The factor of half, due to the double-ended line matching is going to bite you if you ignore it.
Only when the line is correctly matched does the situation reduce to a simple ratio.
Any (Vsig source resistance) + Rs needs to be equal to Zo.
Termination matching requires that; Rg // Rt = Zo.
Line input series termination of Vin by Rs gives; Vin = Vsig / 2.
The output voltage will then be; –Vin * Rf / Rg,
Which becomes; Vout / Vsig = – Rf / ( 2 * Rg ) that is eqn; (2).
The open loop gain of the FDA and any mismatching at the ends of the transmission line will make it very complex.

Baluncore said:
Can you post the LTspice.asc.txt file, the extra .txt extension allows it to be attached to a PF post.
What model FDA did you use? Please include device.asy.txt and device.sub.txt files.

The factor of half, due to the double-ended line matching is going to bite you if you ignore it.

As he said in post #9: "I am not doing matching impedance in transmission line."

The transmission line shown in the TI document is not relevant to the OP's situation; he won't have any such line.

The Electrician said:
The transmission line shown in the TI document is not relevant to the OP's situation; he won't have any such line.
That is OK, I just wanted the same FDA model he used so that we were not running different models. Adding a transmission line and matching is trivial.

I've verified your derivations associated with Figure (5). I used b1 and b2 to represent your feedback factors β+ and β-. It would be trivial to get the expressions for the case where A is finite, including where A has a rolloff with frequency, such as a single pole rolloff.

SingleEndedFullDiff2.png

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff2.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff2.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 927
Likes yungman
Good morning guys.

I attached the LTSpice simulation. I just use a differential amp from LT so I don't have to include the model file. Just any diff amp will do. I put in a few examples of the values presented in Table 3 in page 23 of the THS4500 datasheet in post #5. I change the values of Rs and RT etc and simulate the result. You can see some comments I have whether those change the gain or Rin.

I am a retired EE that still have a lot of passion in electronic design. I spent a year designed and built two tube guitar amps, then I moved to design audiophile amplifiers. I designed and built 2 SS power amps, now I am designing an audiophile tube power amp. This is part of the design.

This is really a part of my tube amp design nothing to do with differential amps at all. I don't match impedance at all, what's important for me is getting as much gain as possible from the driving tube as shown in Fig. 4 BUT keep the Rf resistance low enough so the roll off frequency is as high as possible. Originally, I was thinking to go with the simple design shown in Fig.2, but that entails using a low impedance driver like a cathode follower ( like emitter follower). That will waste half of the tube. Unlike transistor, tube is a whole lot more expensive...and more importantly, take up valuable space on the chassis. I have only room for one twin triode, I cannot afford to give up one to lower the output impedance to drive the diff amp in Fig.2. That's what complicates the derivations.

My constrain I put is R1 = R2 + rp1//Rp1 to make the circuit balance to lower the even harmonics and eliminate DC offset. that's the reason it is so much more complicated than in Fig.2 and even the case of matching source and termination impedance shown in the datasheet.

I am working on the derivation of the gain for my design, I'll post it after I double checked the formulas. It's a whole lot more complicated than equation (9) for match source and terminating impedance.

I'll be back.

Attachments

• 5SE to differential output.txt
    11.8 KB · Views: 498
The Electrician said:
I've verified your derivations associated with Figure (5). I used b1 and b2 to represent your feedback factors β+ and β-. It would be trivial to get the expressions for the case where A is finite, including where A has a rolloff with frequency, such as a single pole rolloff.

View attachment 217480
Hi Electrician

Thank you for verifying my other equations on Rin and Rinp. Now I feel a lot better. I never studied linear algebra, so it'll take me a little time to read your matrix.

Alan

yungman said:
Hi Electrician

Thank you for verifying my other equations on Rin and Rinp. Now I feel a lot better. I never studied linear algebra, so it'll take me a little time to read your matrix.

Alan

Here's a good exposition on how to set up an admittance matrix by inspection: http://web.ecs.baylor.edu/faculty/grady/EE411_Fall2011_Week_02.pdf

Here's the step-by-step setup using opamps: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/admittance-matrix-for-fliege-notch-filter.112366/#post-869823

Likes yungman
Shekel's method using an admittance matrix as I've shown in this thread doesn't require deriving expressions for impedances at various internal nodes. The transfer function just falls out naturally.

The very last part of your work shown in the attachment of post #3 adds a vacuum tube with transconductance gm and plate load RL. Adding this to the circuit of Figure (5) is easy; all that is required is the addition of one row and one column. The resistor R1 is changed from R1 = R2 + rpl || Rpl to R1 = R2 + rpl || RL to maintain balance. A grid resistor Rg is added to prevent the matrix from becoming singular, but Rg doesn't appear in the output expression if the grid is driven from a voltage source.

Here's the result for the transfer function Vod/Vg when a single triode drives the FDA:

SingleEndedFullDiff3.png

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff3.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff3.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Here is my derivation of the gain of VOD/VIN

SE diff amp gain.jpg

RIN is looking into R2 from the left side with the left side of R2 open.

I just want to verify if this is correct. If so, I am in business.

Thanks

Attachments

• SE diff amp gain.jpg
    SE diff amp gain.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 469
I see some inconsistencies in the Vod calculation. You have Vod/Vth = Rf/R1; apparently this is with R1 not equal to R2 + rp1 || Rpl. But then you have Vod/Vth = Rf / R1 = Rf / (R2 + rp1 || Rpl) which would seem to indicate R1 has been replaced with R2 + rp1 || Rpl.

In either case I don't think Vod/Vth is correct as shown.

Also, what are you using for β+ and β-?

I would find it less confusing if when calculating Vod/Vin you would show a schematic with nothing to the left of the Vin node. In other words, don't even show Vth or the resistor labeled rpl ||Rpl. Also, show your expressions for β+ and β-.

For such a circuit, if R1 is replaced with just R2, here's what I get for Vod/Vin:

SingleEndedFullDiff4.png

If R1 is left as R1, then I get this for Vod/Vin:

SingleEndedFullDiff5.png

And, finally, if R1 becomes R2 + rpl || Rpl, then I get:

SingleEndedFullDiff6.png

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff4.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff4.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 409
  • SingleEndedFullDiff5.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff5.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 420
  • SingleEndedFullDiff6.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff6.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 430
If I use the circuit where the input source is Vth driving through a resistor equal to rpl || Rpl and with R1 = R2 + rpl || Rpl, I get the following:

SingleEndedFullDiff7.png

Notice that the result for Vod/Vin here is the same as it was in the last image in the previous post. This is as it should be because everything to the left of R2 (the Vin node) doesn't matter when we're calculating Vod/Vin.

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff7.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff7.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 391
The only constrain is R1= R2 + rp1//Rp1. So the gain of VOD/VTH is just simply Rf/R1.

beta+ and beta- is defined in page 3 of the write up I linked in post #3

If you use VTH to drive as shown in post #18. the differential amp is totally balanced, the gain is just simply

VOD/VTH= Rf/R1 = Rf/[R2 + rp1//RP1]

Last edited:
yungman said:
The only constrain is R1= R2 + RS//RT. So the gain of VOD/VTH is just simply Rf/R1.

beta+ and beta- is defined in page 3 of the write up I linked in post #3

I don't see RS and RT in the schematic of post #18. Where are they defined?

The Electrician said:
I don't see RS and RT in the schematic of post #18. Where are they defined?

I'm sorry, I just got mixed up, the article use RS and RT, I use rp1 and Rp1.

I changed post 21 already.

I defined R1= R2 + rp1//Rp1 and never change through out the whole derivation. This is needed to minimize distortion and eliminate DC offset.

OK. To make sure we're on the same page, here is a schematic of the circuit I will be analyzing. I'll use the definitions for β+ and β- from page 3 of your attachment to post #3, but I will use b1 for β+ and b2 for β-. I've numbered the nodes in red as used in the admittance matrix for the circuit. Node 1 is row 1 of the matrix, node 2 is row 2 of the matrix, and so on.

FDAcircuit1.jpg

Is this what you are using?

Attachments

• FDAcircuit1.jpg
    FDAcircuit1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 299
Likes yungman
Yes, that's it.

Thanks

OK. Once I get the topology exactly the same as yours, and get the same definitions as yours, I get the same result. Here is my work:

SingleEndedFullDiff8.png

SingleEndedFullDiff9.png

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff8.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff8.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 273
  • SingleEndedFullDiff9.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff9.png
    6 KB · Views: 247
Likes jim hardy and yungman
To show the power of Shekel's method, suppose you wanted Vod/Vin with a finite opamp gain A. In an instant I can get that result:

SingleEndedFullDiff10.png

Or perhaps you would like to know VP:

SingleEndedFullDiff11.png

Look how much more complicated the expression for VP is for finite opamp gain A:

SingleEndedFullDiff12.png

Attachments

• SingleEndedFullDiff10.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff10.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 195
  • SingleEndedFullDiff11.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff11.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 217
  • SingleEndedFullDiff12.png
    SingleEndedFullDiff12.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 201
Likes jim hardy and yungman
Wow, thanks Electrician.

Thanks for all your work to verify for me. When I finish my design, I really need to stop and go over the stuffs you sent me. Took me a long time to do it my way and you can do it so fast by setting up the matrix and solve it.

Is this a simulation program?

Thanks

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's just using a so-called mathematical assistant program to do the tedious algebra involved in the matrix arithmetic. I'm using Mathematica, but there are others such as Matlab, Mathcad, Maple, Macsyma, etc.

Just amazing...

Related to Please check my derivation of the gain of single ended diff amp

1. What is a single ended differential amplifier?

A single ended differential amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in audio and communication systems to amplify small voltage differences and eliminate common-mode noise.

2. How does a single ended differential amplifier work?

A single ended differential amplifier consists of two input terminals, a non-inverting and an inverting terminal, and one output terminal. The input signals are amplified by the same gain, and the amplified difference between the two signals is taken at the output. This allows for the elimination of common-mode noise, resulting in a cleaner output signal.

3. What is the gain of a single ended differential amplifier?

The gain of a single ended differential amplifier is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage difference. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and can be calculated using the formula: Gain = 20log(Vout/Vin). The gain can also be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors in the amplifier circuit.

4. What is the purpose of checking the derivation of the gain of a single ended differential amplifier?

Checking the derivation of the gain of a single ended differential amplifier is important to ensure that the circuit is functioning correctly and to identify any potential errors in the calculations. It also allows for the optimization of the amplifier's performance by adjusting the circuit parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to the gain of a single ended differential amplifier?

Yes, there are limitations to the gain of a single ended differential amplifier. The maximum gain that can be achieved is limited by the power supply voltage and the output voltage swing of the amplifier. Additionally, high gain can lead to stability issues and the introduction of noise in the output signal.