Please check Frobenius's method

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the original ODE is a second-order linear ordinary differential equation with variable coefficients. The mistake in the second term is likely a typo, as it should be $ {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j+1)x^{k+j} $ instead of $ {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j-1)x^{k+j} $. The author hopes someone can confirm this and asks if the ODE has a specific name. The expert assures that the original ODE does not have a specific name and wishes the author good luck with their work.
ognik
Hi, thought I had this done, but I get a different answer from my book; I can see where we are different, so would appreciate if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong here...

ODE is $ \d{}{x}[(1-x^2)\d{u}{x}]+\alpha u + \beta x^2u = 0 $, which I rewrote as $ (1-x^2)u'' -2xu' + \alpha u + \beta x^2 u = 0 $

Letting $ u=\sum_{\lambda=0}^{\infty}{a}_{\lambda}{x}^{k+\lambda} $ (any k)

I get the 3-term recursion relation below, using:
$ \lambda = j+2, $ for all $ k+ \lambda-2 $ power terms,
$ \lambda = j, $ for all $ k+ \lambda $ terms
$ \lambda = j-2, $ for all $ k+\lambda + 2 $ terms

$ {a}_{j+2}(k+j+2)(k+j+1)x^{k+j} - {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j-1)x^{k+j} + \alpha{a}_{j} x^{k+j} + \beta {a}_{j-2}x^{k+j} = 0 $

But the book shows something different, for the 2nd term they have $ {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j+1)x^{k+j} $ ?

I thought I must have a silly mistake, but after hours can't find it - hope someone can?
(PS: does the ODE have a name, like Legendre's etc?)

Found the silly mistake - would still like to know if the original ODE has a special name?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on the forum. The original ODE does not have a specific name, but it is a second-order linear ordinary differential equation with variable coefficients. As for your mistake, it seems that you have a typo in your second term. It should be $ {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j+1)x^{k+j} $ instead of $ {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j-1)x^{k+j} $. This is because when you substitute $ \lambda = j $ in your general solution, you get $ {a}_{j}(k+j)(k+j+1)x^{k+j} $ for the $ k+\lambda $ term. I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your work!

Related to Please check Frobenius's method

1. What is Frobenius's method?

Frobenius's method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations with regular singular points. It involves assuming a series solution and finding the recurrence relation between the coefficients to obtain a solution.

2. How is Frobenius's method different from other methods of solving differential equations?

Frobenius's method is specifically used for solving differential equations with regular singular points. It is different from other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution, which are used for solving different types of differential equations.

3. When should Frobenius's method be used?

Frobenius's method should be used when solving differential equations with regular singular points, such as Bessel's equation or Legendre's equation. It is also useful when the coefficients of the equation are not constant or when other methods are not applicable.

4. What are the steps involved in using Frobenius's method?

The steps involved in using Frobenius's method include assuming a series solution, substituting the series into the differential equation, equating coefficients, solving the recurrence relation, and using the resulting solution to find the general solution.

5. Can Frobenius's method be applied to all types of differential equations?

No, Frobenius's method is only applicable to differential equations with regular singular points. It cannot be used to solve equations with irregular singular points or equations that do not have a singular point.