Play with Fonts: The Serif Looked Really Nice

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, serif fonts are a type of font with small lines at the end of each character, known as serifs. They differ from sans-serif fonts, which do not have these lines, and are often preferred for their readability in large blocks of text and traditional aesthetic. While serif fonts can be used for a variety of designs, the right font should be chosen based on the tone and purpose of the project, as well as its legibility in the intended format.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The serif looked really nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
yup :)

For interface/nav I still really like PT Sans which is what everything is (maybe try Tahoma), but for post content I'm playing with Georgia.

Likes Bystander
Bystander said:
The serif looked really nice.
WHAT ? Serif fonts are evil !

Greg Bernhardt said:
yup :)

For interface/nav I still really like PT Sans which is what everything is (maybe try Tahoma), but for post content I'm playing with Georgia.
OH NO! Please don't do that. Stick with something sans serif. I love it the way it is now.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Play with Fonts: The Serif Looked Really Nice

1. What is a serif font?

A serif font is a type of font that has small lines or strokes at the end of each character. These lines are known as serifs and they are used to add a decorative touch to the font. Examples of serif fonts include Times New Roman, Georgia, and Baskerville.

2. How do serif fonts differ from sans-serif fonts?

Serif fonts have the small lines or strokes at the end of each character, while sans-serif fonts do not have these lines. Sans-serif fonts are often considered more modern and clean, while serif fonts are seen as more traditional and elegant.

3. Why do some people prefer serif fonts?

Some people prefer serif fonts because they are easier to read in large blocks of text. The serifs help guide the reader's eyes from one character to the next, making it easier to follow the text. Serif fonts are also associated with a more formal and traditional aesthetic.

4. Can serif fonts be used for any type of design?

Yes, serif fonts can be used for a variety of designs, from traditional print materials to modern websites. However, some designers may choose to use sans-serif fonts for more modern or minimalist designs.

5. How can I choose the right serif font for my project?

When choosing a serif font, consider the tone and purpose of your project. A more traditional or formal project may call for a classic serif font, while a more modern or casual project may benefit from a more contemporary serif font. It's also important to consider readability and choose a font that is legible in the size and format it will be displayed in.