Planet formation vs Sun collapse

In summary: This model explains why our solar system has planets in stable orbits and why no other star system appears to have planets in stable orbits - planets lose energy over time and move into a less stable orbit.
vikasagartha
I understand how conservation of momentum leads to planet formation and planet rotation. However, after studying this model, I have ran into a point of confusion that I cannot find the answer to:

Why don't the planets collapse into the sun just as dust particles collapsed inward via conservation of angular momentum to form the planets in the first place? What distinguishes the two situations?

My two potential theories (pardon any silly answers, I am an amateur):

* The velocity, size, distance, etc of the planets are just right that they stay in that equilibrium.
* The accretion process stopped after the sun reached some set stage. Perhaps study the stages of the sun?

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The collapse in radial direction (along the disk radius) stops as soon as the velocity is sufficient to give orbits around the central mass.
The accretion process stopped after the sun reached some set stage.
Right.
The velocity, size, distance, etc of the planets are just right that they stay in that equilibrium.
"Every" orbit around a star is stable, if the planet does not hit anything (significant) on its path.

Hmm. I am a little confused. Some of the reading that I am doing online is showing me something more like this:

A protostar accretes mass until it reaches an equilibrium. Equilibrium can be explained in the following manner:

1. Gravity pulls gas and dust into the core.
2. The core gets hotter as gas density increases and thereby the rate of gas atom collisions increases.
3. When the gas pressure = gravity, the accretion process stops.

vikasagartha said:
Hmm. I am a little confused. Some of the reading that I am doing online is showing me something more like this:

A protostar accretes mass until it reaches an equilibrium. Equilibrium can be explained in the following manner:

1. Gravity pulls gas and dust into the core.
2. The core gets hotter as gas density increases and thereby the rate of gas atom collisions increases.
3. When the gas pressure = gravity, the accretion process stops.

True, but you're talking about the gas that is collapsing to form the star itself. The gas and dust that forms the planets doesn't collapse into the star.

vikasagartha said:
Why don't the planets collapse into the sun just as dust particles collapsed inward via conservation of angular momentum to form the planets in the first place? What distinguishes the two situations?

I forget the exact equation, but it basically depends on the kinetic energy of the planet, for which a few scenarios arive:

1) if it has too little energy it goes into the sun
2) if it's within a certain range it gains an elliptical orbit (like our planets have)
3) if it has too much energy it has a hyperbolic orbit and is flung out of the star system

and our planets have enough kinetic energy to be in the 2nd category, as planets lose energy naturally over time they move into the 1st category from the 2nd and crash into their sun. We just don't see planets like that because they would crash into the sun over the course of millions of years, although there are some examples that you'll occasionally see in the news

Viracocha said:
and our planets have enough kinetic energy to be in the 2nd category, as planets lose energy naturally over time they move into the 1st category from the 2nd and crash into their sun. We just don't see planets like that because they would crash into the sun over the course of millions of years, although there are some examples that you'll occasionally see in the news

Such processes take orders of magnitude longer. Our solar system has been around for over 4 billion years and we're just fine.

Related to Planet formation vs Sun collapse

1. What is planet formation?

Planet formation is the process by which planets form from the dust and gas that surrounds a young star. This can occur through the accretion of particles or through the gravitational collapse of a gas cloud.

2. How does planet formation differ from sun collapse?

Planet formation and sun collapse are two separate processes that occur simultaneously in a young solar system. While planet formation involves the creation of solid bodies through the accumulation of particles, sun collapse refers to the contraction of a gas cloud to form a star.

3. Can planet formation happen without sun collapse?

No, planet formation requires a central mass, such as a young star, to provide the gravitational pull necessary for the accumulation of particles to form planets. Without a central mass, there would be no planets to form.

4. How long does planet formation take compared to sun collapse?

The timescale for planet formation and sun collapse can vary greatly depending on the size and composition of the gas cloud and the amount of material available. However, in general, planet formation is thought to take longer than sun collapse, which typically occurs within a few million years.

5. What factors affect the outcome of planet formation vs sun collapse?

The outcome of planet formation and sun collapse can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the composition of the gas cloud, the temperature and pressure within the cloud, and the presence of other nearby stars or planetary bodies. These factors can impact the size, mass, and composition of the resulting planets and star.