Planck's Law/ number of photons

In summary, the task is to produce plots of I(λ,T) vs. λ for a blackbody at temperature T = 500 K and then compute the number of photons emitted with 400nm < λ < 450 nm for each temperature. This can be done by using Planck's Law and dividing I(λ,T) by the energy of one photon to get the function N(λ,T). The area between the given wavelengths can then be found to determine the number of photons emitted.
CINA

Homework Statement

Produce plots of I(λ, T) vs. λ for a blackbody at temperature T = 500 K. Compute the number of photons emitted with 400nm < λ < 450 nm for each temperature, assuming the total surface area is 1.0000 m2, to 5 significant figures.

Homework Equations

Planck's Law
[tex]A\int_{\lambda_2}^{\lambda_1}I'(\lambda,T)\,d\lambda[/tex]
maybe more

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding how we are supposed find the number of photons. So far we used n = (P*λ)/hc to find the number of photons at a spefic wavelength. But this requires a specific wavelength. Are we supposed to find the power at 400 nm wavelength, put it into that equation and find n, then move onto the 451, and repeat? Or is there an equation that will compute n number of photons emitted over a wavelength range in one fell swoop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide I(λ,T) by the energy of one photon: you get the function N(λ,T), the number of photons emitted. Plot N(λ,T) and find the area between the given wavelengths.

ehild

Related to Planck's Law/ number of photons

1. What is Planck's Law?

Planck's Law, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a fundamental law of physics that describes the spectral energy density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It was first introduced by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 and is considered one of the cornerstones of quantum mechanics.

2. How does Planck's Law relate to the number of photons?

Planck's Law is used to calculate the number of photons emitted by a black body at a specific wavelength and temperature. This is done through the Planck-Einstein relation, which states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. Therefore, by knowing the frequency and energy of the photons emitted by a black body, we can determine the number of photons present.

3. What is the significance of Planck's constant in Planck's Law?

Planck's constant (denoted as h) is a fundamental constant of nature that appears in many equations in quantum mechanics, including Planck's Law. It is used to relate the energy of a photon to its frequency and is crucial in understanding the quantization of energy in the microscopic world.

4. Can Planck's Law be applied to other objects besides black bodies?

While Planck's Law was originally derived for black bodies, it can also be applied to other objects that emit or absorb electromagnetic radiation. This is because it describes the behavior of thermal radiation, which is a fundamental property of all objects with a nonzero temperature.

5. How is Planck's Law used in modern science and technology?

Planck's Law is used in various fields of science and technology, such as astronomy, astrophysics, and thermal engineering. It is used to understand the properties of stars and other celestial objects, as well as in the design of efficient lighting and energy systems. It is also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and cryptography.