Plancherel formula and integral computing

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of computing the Fourier transform of a function and the integral of another function. The first function is written as x * 1/(1 + x^2) and using a formula, its Fourier transform is found to be (-pi * i * e^(-|x|)) for positive values of the variable and (pi * i * e^(-|x|)) for negative values. The integral of the second function is solved using the Plancherel formula and is found to be pi/2, correcting a previous mistake.
rayman123
My task is to
1) compute the Fourier transform of the function [tex] \frac{x}{1+x^2}[/tex]

2) compute the integral [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/tex]

1) I can write my function as [tex] x \cdot \frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex] and by using the formula

we let [tex] f(x)=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{F}[xf(x)]=i(f^{\wedge})^{'}(\xi)=-\pi ie^{-|x|}[/tex]

which finally gives gives

[tex] \Bigl(\frac{x}{1+x^2}\Bigr)^{\wedge}=\begin{cases} -\pi ie^{-|\xi|} \therefore \xi>0 \\ \pi ie^{-|\xi|} \therefore \xi<0\end{cases}[/tex]

which agrees with the answer.

2) this one is a bit tricker and somehow it seems like I am on the correct track except for the sign I get...

I use Plancherel formula for Fourier transform to solve this integral, namely
[tex] ||f^{\wedge}||^2=2 \pi ||f||^2[/tex]

and we have

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^2}dx=||\frac{x}{1+x^2}||^2=\frac{1}{2 \pi}||\overbrace{\frac{x}{1+x^2}}^{\wedge}||^2=[/tex]

and we know from the part 1) that

[tex]\Bigl(\frac{x}{1+x^2}\Bigr)^{\wedge}=\begin{cases} -\pi ie^{-|\xi|} \therefore \xi>0 \\ \pi ie^{-|\xi|} \therefore \xi<0\end{cases}[/tex]

then our integral will be

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^2}dx=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-\pi^2 e^{-2|\xi|}d\xi=-\frac{\pi}{2}\cdot 2 \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2\xi}d\xi=-\pi \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-2\xi}d\xi=[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}\Bigl[e^{-2\xi}\Bigr]_{0}^{\infty}=-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

the answer should be [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] where do I make mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already wrote down the solution.
||.||^2 means absolute value squared, so the integrand is positive.

susskind_leon said:
You already wrote down the solution.
||.||^2 means absolute value squared, so the integrand is positive.

yeah, you are right :) thank you

Related to Plancherel formula and integral computing

1. What is the Plancherel formula?

The Plancherel formula is a mathematical theorem that relates the Fourier transform of a function to its original function. It states that the integral of the squared magnitude of the Fourier transform of a function is equal to the integral of the squared magnitude of the function itself.

2. Why is the Plancherel formula important in integral computing?

The Plancherel formula is important in integral computing because it allows for the calculation of integrals using the Fourier transform. This can be useful in cases where the original function is difficult to integrate directly, and the Fourier transform may provide a simpler alternative.

3. What is the relationship between the Plancherel formula and the Fourier transform?

The Plancherel formula is closely related to the Fourier transform, as it provides a way to calculate the integral of a function using its Fourier transform. In fact, the Plancherel formula can be seen as a generalization of the Parseval's theorem, which is a specific case of the Plancherel formula for functions that satisfy certain conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Plancherel formula in integral computing?

While the Plancherel formula can be a useful tool in integral computing, there are some limitations to its use. One limitation is that it only applies to functions that are square integrable, meaning that their integral over the entire domain is finite. Additionally, the Plancherel formula may not be applicable in cases where the Fourier transform of the function is not known or cannot be calculated.

5. How is the Plancherel formula used in practical applications?

The Plancherel formula has many practical applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to solve differential equations, calculate power spectra, and analyze the frequency content of signals. In image processing, the Plancherel formula is used to compress images by representing them in the frequency domain. In quantum mechanics, it is used to describe the wave properties of particles and their interactions.