Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion

He has been using calculation methods from ASHRAE and MechE Handbook but is getting different results. He shares the specifications and asks for better equations or advice from someone with piping experience. He is directed to a procedure and catalog from Anvil International for designing and engineering pipe hangers. In summary, Matt is seeking assistance with determining reaction forces on anchors and guides in a hot water pipe system and is directed to resources from Anvil International.
robinso5
Hey guys,

I've got an L-bend of pipe carrying hot water that I'm trying to analyze. I've been using the ASHRAE and MechE Handbook of Calculation methods to determine the forces on the anchors due to thermal expansion, but I'm arriving at very different numbers.

Here are my specs:
An 8" schedule 40 pipe contains 140°F Heating Hot Water. The system is filled with 50°F water during the summer. Guides are located 20 ft from an elbow. The pipe has a 200 ft long straight run into one side ofthe "L Bend", which is anchored at the opposite end. Determine any reacdon forces on the guide and anchor to be coordinated with the structural engineer.

I was wondering if anyone with piping experience would be able to give me some better equations or possibly figure out where I'm going wrong.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just follow the procedure outlined here.

http://www.anvilintl.com/DesignInfo/default.aspx

Thanks
Matt

Sorry this is the link you will want to use.

http://www.anvilintl.com/SharedContent/Pdf/Literature_Catalog/PipeHanger_DesignEngineering_Catalog.pdf

Matt

Related to Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion

What is Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion?

Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion is the force that is exerted on the anchors of a piping system as a result of the thermal expansion of the pipes. As the pipes heat up, they expand in length, which can cause stress on the anchor points of the system.

Why is Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion important?

Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion is important because it can cause damage to the piping system if not properly accounted for. If the force is too great, it can cause the anchors to fail or the pipes to buckle, which can lead to leaks and other issues.

How is Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion calculated?

Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion is calculated using the coefficient of thermal expansion of the material, the change in temperature, and the length of the pipe. The formula for calculating the force is F = α × E × ΔT × L, where F is the force, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, E is the modulus of elasticity, ΔT is the change in temperature, and L is the length of the pipe.

What are some methods for mitigating Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion?

Some methods for mitigating Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion include using flexible joints or expansion loops in the piping system, installing anchors at strategic points to limit movement, and using materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion.

How can I ensure that my piping system is properly designed to account for Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion?

To ensure that your piping system is properly designed to account for Piping Anchor Force due to Thermal Expansion, it is important to work with experienced engineers and follow industry standards and guidelines. It is also important to conduct thorough thermal expansion analysis and testing during the design phase to identify potential issues and make necessary adjustments.