Pion decay and photon frequencies

In summary, we are given a neutral pion with a rest mass of 135MeV/c^2 moving at 0.98c in the x-direction. Two photons are emitted in opposite directions parallel to the pion's motion. To find the frequencies of each photon, we can use the equations for momentum and energy conservation, setting the initial and final values equal to each other. This will allow us to solve for the unknown frequencies. It is important to show your work in order to identify any mistakes.
snc1318

Homework Statement

we are given a neutral pion moving at 0.98c straight in the x-direction. The pions rest mass is 135MeV/c^2. two photons are emitted in opposite direction parallel to the pion's motion.

I need to find the two frequencies of each photon.

Homework Equations

m=0, E=p*c
conservation of Energy E^2=(c*p)^2+(m*c^2)^2
gamma=1/sqrt(1-Beta^2)
Beta = v/c
p=gamma*m*v
E=gamma*m*c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that energy and momentum are conserved but i don't know exactly what i am meant to do with the momentum relation of each pion. i keep trying all different tactics but keep going in circles. i feel like I am missing something really obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't show what you have done, we cannot diagnose where you went wrong. You have two equations (momentum and energy conservation) and two unknown photon frequencies. Begin by writing

Pbefore=Pafter
Ebefore=Eafter

Related to Pion decay and photon frequencies

1. What is pion decay?

Pion decay is the process in which a pion particle, which is made up of a quark-antiquark pair, transforms into other particles. This transformation is caused by the weak force.

2. How does pion decay occur?

Pion decay occurs when the quark-antiquark pair that makes up the pion interacts with the weak force, causing one of the quarks to transform into a different type of quark. This transformation releases energy, which is carried away by other particles.

3. What is the role of photon frequencies in pion decay?

In pion decay, one of the particles produced is a photon, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation. The frequency of this photon depends on the energy released during the decay process. The higher the energy, the higher the frequency of the photon.

4. Why is the study of pion decay important?

Pion decay is an important process to study because it helps us to better understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the forces that govern them. It also has implications for particle physics and cosmology.

5. How is pion decay measured?

Pion decay can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as particle colliders and detectors. Scientists also use mathematical models and theories to predict and analyze the results of pion decay experiments.