PIC Programmer Advice: Find the Best One for Your Project

• Thread starter zak8000
  • Start date
In summary, you need a PIC programmer which includes a usb port to connect the computer and install the software to the PIC.
zak8000
hello

i have been learning about micro-controllers for about a month now and i have started my own private projects using them. at the moment i am using a PIC micro controller for a alarm clock which is programmed in C. I have ordered the parts and designed the pcb but i have had some problems trying to find out how to upload my program which is compiled using mikroC PRO to my micro-controller. i found that all you need is to upload the .HEX file to the micro-controller once the build is successful is this correct?

then if this is correct you need a PIC programmer which includes a usb port to connect the computer and install the software to the PIC. but since i am new to this i was wondering what would be a good PIC programmer to buy please advise if you have experience using micro controllers

Engineering news on Phys.org
not being totally familiar with pic, I found this article on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller

They mention the PickIt2 open source tools as the best set to use.

From your description, it looks like you must compile your source program in PIC language into
a .hex file on your development computer and then use another tool to copy the .hex file to the microcontroller eprom. The copying program would also run on your development computer and connect to the microcontroller via a USB cable.

Does that sound right?

Also have you checked out Arduino? that platform is getting very popular too with a lot of DIY projects and books.

i have just been reading up on pickit3 programmer but it seems like it you would have to solder the complete circuit together before you program it using the pickit3 by connecting to the pc via usb and you would also need to provide two I/O pins for the pickit3 to connect to the board is this correct?

i have also been looking and i found this programmer which i think you plug in the pic microcontroller into the pins shown and then connect it to the pc via a usb and then upload the .hex to the pic and then remove it and solder it on the pcb and it should work fine.
http://nz.element14.com/microchip/ac162049/programming-module-univ-icd2-picstar/dp/4242002

but before i solder it on the pcb is it a good idea to test it first on breadboard because i know some microcontrollers are static sensitive. the one i am using is PIC16F84AP.

now THAT looks like fun.

i wonder how much trouble it'd be to make a Roman Numeral display...

zak8000 said:
i have just been reading up on pickit3 programmer but it seems like it you would have to solder the complete circuit together before you program it using the pickit3 by connecting to the pc via usb and you would also need to provide two I/O pins for the pickit3 to connect to the board is this correct?

i have also been looking and i found this programmer which i think you plug in the pic microcontroller into the pins shown and then connect it to the pc via a usb and then upload the .hex to the pic and then remove it and solder it on the pcb and it should work fine.
http://nz.element14.com/microchip/ac162049/programming-module-univ-icd2-picstar/dp/4242002

but before i solder it on the pcb is it a good idea to test it first on breadboard because i know some microcontrollers are static sensitive. the one i am using is PIC16F84AP.

That module is just a ZIF socket adapter for the (ICD2) programmer. The PICKIT is a "In-Circuit Serial Programming" programmer that only needs the chip , 2 resistors , 1 diode and 5 traces to a header to work, it powers the chip while programming. If you plan on working with PIC chips making your boards work with these types of programmers will be a good investment in time and money.

TB016
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30277d.pdf

I was told that iCP01 is one cheap and reliable programmer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iCP01-USB-Microchip-PIC-Programmer-Tiny-Low-Price-/280678080071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159b79e47

They are only manufactured in Malaysia, so a copycat one is not possible.

If you are using the DIL package version then don't solder your PIC chips into your pcbs, use a socket. That way you can use them again.

thats super cheap and awesome bassalisk i going to order one after i test the one i am building and colin thanks for the tip i have ordered a 18-pin IC pin socket. do you think it would be safe to put the cct together on a breadboard and connect to my pc via the RS232 female connecter

Related to PIC Programmer Advice: Find the Best One for Your Project

1. What is a PIC programmer and why do I need one for my project?

A PIC programmer is a device used to program and write code onto microcontrollers, specifically those made by Microchip Technology. These microcontrollers are commonly used in electronic projects and devices such as robots, sensors, and smart home systems. A PIC programmer is necessary because it allows you to upload and test your code on the microcontroller, making it an essential tool for any project involving PIC microcontrollers.

2. How do I choose the best PIC programmer for my project?

When choosing a PIC programmer, there are a few factors to consider. First, determine the specific type of PIC microcontroller you will be using, as some programmers are designed for specific models. Next, consider the programming interface - some programmers use USB, while others use parallel ports. It is also important to look at the software compatibility and features of the programmer, as well as user reviews and ratings. Ultimately, the best PIC programmer for your project will depend on your specific needs and budget.

3. Are there any budget-friendly options for PIC programmers?

Yes, there are several budget-friendly options for PIC programmers. Many popular programmers, such as the PICkit 3 and the USBasp, are relatively affordable and offer a range of features. Additionally, there are DIY options available for those who are comfortable with building their own programmer using readily available components. It is important to do thorough research and read reviews before purchasing a budget-friendly PIC programmer to ensure it will meet your needs.

4. Can I use a PIC programmer for other microcontrollers?

While PIC programmers are specifically designed for Microchip Technology's PIC microcontrollers, some models may also be compatible with other microcontrollers from different manufacturers. However, it is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the programmer before attempting to use it with a different microcontroller. It is also worth noting that some programming software may only work with PIC microcontrollers, so it is important to consider this when choosing a programmer for your project.

5. Do I need any additional equipment or software to use a PIC programmer?

In addition to the PIC programmer itself, you will also need a computer with a USB or parallel port (depending on the type of programmer), as well as programming software. Microchip Technology provides their own software, MPLAB, for programming PIC microcontrollers. However, there are also third-party software options available. Some programmers may also require additional cables or adapters, so it is important to carefully read the specifications and requirements of the programmer before purchasing.