Piano & Penny vs Feather Dropped from Empire State Building

• Thread starter tatiana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the objects would take different amounts of time to hit the ground depending on the object and the atmosphere it is in.
tatiana
I have a serious question, in all seriousness.. So you know how the theory says "if you dropped a piano and a penny off of the empire state buliding they would hit the ground at the same time" Well i was thinking and i wanted to know what would cause this not to be true.. when a coffe cup is empy this does not apply, neithe rif one of these objects were a feather??

Science news on Phys.org
If you were in a vacuum, then yes, they would take the same time to hit the ground. But seeing as we're not, air resistance comes into play, slowing the time of descent.

If you pumped all the air out of NYC -- which some folks believe to be the case already -- and dropped a piano, penny, cup of coffee, and feather, they would all land at the same time. Under more normal circumstances the wind resistance of each object would need to be taken into consideration so, for instance, the feather might never make it to the ground (at least where you could find it easily).

I'm not sure that the fill-state of the coffee cup would make much difference though.

In general, objects dropped in the atmosphere will not hit the ground at the exact same time due to drag. The difference between objects that aren't very light is not usually great enough that you would be able to tell a difference normally however. In a perfect vacuum everything would fall at the same rate since there would not be any drag.

As the others said it's the air that slows the feather down. Specifically, it's because the feather has a much higher ratio of surface area to mass.

Apollo 15 famously showed this on the moon (a vacuum), by dropping a feather and a hammer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk"

Last edited by a moderator:
Your all right i forgot that were dealing with air resistance and were not in a vacuum

Related to Piano & Penny vs Feather Dropped from Empire State Building

1. How does the weight of the piano and penny affect their descent?

The weight of the piano and penny affects their descent due to the force of gravity. The heavier the object, the greater the force of gravity, resulting in a faster descent. In this experiment, the piano will fall faster than the penny due to its greater weight.

2. Will air resistance play a role in the experiment?

Yes, air resistance will play a role in the experiment. As the objects fall, they will experience air resistance, which is the force of air pushing against them. This will slow down their descent, but it will have a greater impact on the lighter penny compared to the heavier piano.

3. What will happen if the objects are dropped at the same time?

If the objects are dropped at the same time, they will reach the ground at the same time. This is because they will both experience the same force of gravity, and any differences in their descent due to air resistance will be negligible.

4. How high is the Empire State Building?

The Empire State Building is approximately 1,454 feet tall. However, due to the curvature of the Earth, its height may vary slightly.

5. Is this experiment safe to conduct?

No, this experiment is not safe to conduct in real life. Dropping objects from a tall building can be dangerous and can potentially harm people or property below. It is best to simulate this experiment in a controlled environment using virtual or physical models.