Pi meson with velocity v decays into two photons

In summary: For part (a), you know that one of the photons has energy E' = 9E, and you want to find the velocity β of the parent meson. So you have to use the formula to relate these two energies, and solve for β. For part (b), you know that the meson has velocity β = 0.5, and you want to find the energies of the two photons. So you have to use the formula to relate these two velocities, and solve for E and E'. Does that make sense?
jfbych

Homework Statement

A ∏° meson moving with a velocity v in the z direction decays into two photons. One of the photons travels in the z direction and the other travels in the minus z direction.

a) If one photon has an energy that is nine times greater than the other photon, calculate the speed of the ∏° meson.

b)If the speed of the ∏° meson is c/2 determine the energies of the two photons.

First time user here, so sorry in advance for formatting problems!

Homework Equations

E'=E*sqrt(1+β/1-β)

Conservation of momentum:
P∏°=P1+P2
Where P1 and P2 are the momentum of the photons.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if this is along the right tracks, but I did:
E'=9*E=E*sqrt(1+β/1-β)
β=0.976
v=0.976*c
For part b I am not even sure where to start...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jfbych said:

Homework Statement

A ∏° meson moving with a velocity v in the z direction decays into two photons. One of the photons travels in the z direction and the other travels in the minus z direction.

a) If one photon has an energy that is nine times greater than the other photon, calculate the speed of the ∏° meson.

b)If the speed of the ∏° meson is c/2 determine the energies of the two photons.

First time user here, so sorry in advance for formatting problems!

Homework Equations

E'=E*sqrt(1+β/1-β)

Conservation of momentum:
P∏°=P1+P2
Where P1 and P2 are the momentum of the photons.

E'=9*E=E*sqrt(1+β/1-β)
β=0.976
v=0.976*c
For part b, you can just work your way back. You start with v=0.5 c, what is E'/E?
What do you know about the total energy of the photons?

Where does the formula for (a) come from? I get a different result with relativistic momenta.

Last edited:
So we find E'/E=sqrt(3), and we know that the energy of the two photons have to add up to the energy of the ∏° meson. I am still confused on where to go from there. For part (a) I tried to solve for the velocity of the ∏° meson by using the 9:1 photon energy relationship using the doppler shift equation.

jfbych said:
So we find E'/E=sqrt(3),
Again, I think you use a wrong formula, or the correct formula in a wrong way.

and we know that the energy of the two photons have to add up to the energy of the ∏° meson.
Right

I am still confused on where to go from there. For part (a) I tried to solve for the velocity of the ∏° meson by using the 9:1 photon energy relationship using the doppler shift equation.
Doppler shift is a relation of the frequency of photons in different reference frames, but that is a complicated way to solve it (as both photons are doppler-shifted).

If you know 4-momenta: They are the easiest way to solve the problem.

jfbych said:

E'=9*E=E*sqrt(1+β/1-β)
β=0.976
v=0.976*c
This isn't correct. The Doppler shift formula relates the energy E of a photon in one frame with its energy E' in a frame moving with velocity β. You're trying to use it to compare the energies of two different photons.

You can use the formula to solve this problem, but you have to apply it correctly.

Related to Pi meson with velocity v decays into two photons

What is a Pi meson?

A Pi meson, also known as a pion, is a subatomic particle made up of a quark and an antiquark. It is a type of meson, which is a particle composed of one quark and one antiquark bound together by the strong nuclear force.

What is the velocity of a Pi meson?

The velocity of a Pi meson can vary, but it is typically close to the speed of light. This is because the Pi meson is a highly energetic particle, and according to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's energy increases, its velocity must also increase.

What does it mean for a Pi meson to decay?

Decay refers to the process in which a particle breaks down into smaller particles. In the case of a Pi meson, when it decays, it splits into two photons, which are particles of light.

How does a Pi meson decay into two photons?

A Pi meson can decay into two photons through a process called annihilation. This occurs when the Pi meson and its corresponding antiparticle, the antipion, come into contact with each other and are converted into energy in the form of two photons.

What is the significance of a Pi meson decaying into two photons?

This process has important implications in the study of particle physics and the understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe. The decay of a Pi meson into two photons is a rare event that can help scientists better understand the strong nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles.