Physics word problem- velocity, acceleration, time

In summary, two cars are traveling along a straight road, one behind the other. The first is traveling at a constant velocity of 12 m/s. The second, approaching from the rear, is traveling at 25 m/s. When the second car is 200m behind the first, the driver applies the brakes, producing a constant acceleration of -0.20 m/s^2. The cars will eventually crash, with the second car's velocity increasing to 22.4 m/s^2 after 13 seconds.
meredith

Homework Statement

two cars are traveling along a straight road, one behind the other. the first is traveling at a constant velocity of 12 m/s. the second, approaching from the rear, is traveling at 25 m/s. when the second car is 200m behind the first, the driver applies the brakes, producing a constant acceleration of -0.20 m/s^2. will the cars crash and if so, where and when?

Homework Equations

acceleration = (change in velocity)/(change in time)
change in dispacement = (Initial velocity) (time) + (1/2) (acceleration) (time sqaured)
velocity = (acceleration) (time)

The Attempt at a Solution

i got they woud crash after 50 meters? but i don't think that's right :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi meredith ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you did, and then we can see where it went wrong. :smile:

If the second car had a velocity of 12m/s^2, then they wouldn't crash, so we try to see if they do;

25 - 0,2t = 12 => t=65s

in 65 seconds we see that the cars actually crash. So its time to see where they actually crash..

so in "t" seconds after the break, the second cars velocity will be "25-0,2t" and first velocity was "25". Time past is "t" and the length passed is; "12t+200m". So if we equalize these, we have;

(25+25-0,2t)*t/2=12t+200

then we find t=13(approximately) (At the 13th second they crash) so then we have a velocity of "22,4m/s^2" of the second car when they crash and this hapens after "346" meters passed...

I hope I am correct!

MrEnergy said:
(25+25-0,2t)*t/2=12t+200

Yes … but how did you get "t=13(approximately)" ?

This is a quadratic equation … find the exact solution! :smile:

I think you're wrong.
First I think we need to set an equality of the distance, having 25t-.2t2+200=12t.
So we solve for t, getting t1=-12.85s, and t2=77.85s, so t2 is out real answer.
Then you plug t in a distance formula. So based on the first car you have d = 12m/s(77.85s)=934.2m.

Sakha, after 65 seconds second car's velocity becomes 12m/s^2, and they are not supposed to crash with same velocities. So that your t2=77 second is impossible...

The right answer is 13 seconds(I could'nt solve but you can use a program to get the exact number). After 13 secs they crash...

MrEnergy said:
… I could'nt solve …

Yes you can! :rolleyes:

It's 0.1 t2 - 13t + 200 = 0, so the answer is … ? :smile:

I mean't i didn't work for it:P Just used a program.

i just registered for this site today and i was wondering how i go about asking questions?

Welcome to PF!

rmax58 said:
i just registered for this site today and i was wondering how i go about asking questions?

Hi rmax58! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Go to the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" forum, choose the appropriate sub-forum, and click the "NEW TOPIC" button. :smile:

(and read the homework FAQs! :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Physics word problem- velocity, acceleration, time

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

2. How do I calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. It is represented by the formula v = Δx / Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in displacement, and Δt is change in time.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object experiences a positive acceleration, it will speed up, while a negative acceleration will cause it to slow down.

4. Can an object have a velocity of 0 and still be accelerating?

Yes, an object can have a velocity of 0 and still be accelerating if it is changing direction. This is because acceleration is a change in velocity, not just speed.

5. How does time factor into velocity and acceleration calculations?

Time is a crucial component in calculating velocity and acceleration. Both are rates of change over time, so the amount of time that has passed affects the final values. Additionally, the change in time can be used to determine the average velocity or acceleration over a specific period.