Physics & the energy industry.

In summary: It looks as if you're having trouble finding what to study at a tertiary level (I read your thread) and my advice to you would be choose what you enjoy more. With either degree (EE, ChE, Physics) you'll be able to enter the industry but you'll have a better chance if some passion for what you're doing is evident. My biggest problem on the other hand is finding specific job titles that will be available when I finish said degree.
yesterdaysjam
Hey there, I joined up to ask a question about careers in physics and the renewable energy industries. I'm curious as to how a physics degree would help in pursuing a career in green energies and the type of job title I'd be looking into applying for. The renewable industries are preferrable but I would also consider nuclear energy and any others that are at the forefront of scientific research too. I guess my main question would be the types of jobs to look out for?

I would love to hear from scientists that have had experience in the energy industries and any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also curious about the main types of research taking place in these sectors and how physics is helping.

Thanks,
Justin.

Physics news on Phys.org
yesterdaysjam said:
Hey there, I joined up to ask a question about careers in physics and the renewable energy industries. I'm curious as to how a physics degree would help in pursuing a career in green energies and the type of job title I'd be looking into applying for. The renewable industries are preferrable but I would also consider nuclear energy and any others that are at the forefront of scientific research too. I guess my main question would be the types of jobs to look out for?

I would love to hear from scientists that have had experience in the energy industries and any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also curious about the main types of research taking place in these sectors and how physics is helping.

Thanks,
Justin.

I really hope that some one answer to you this question becouse i am in the same boat as you, i am between Electrical Engineering or Physics.

For photovoltaics solid state physics and semiconductor devices is very good. You can investigate about graphane its a 2-D material made by physicist winers of the 2010 nobel prize in Physics, that material could make more efficient solar cells. I think Electrical Engineering also has potential in this field, and is more easy to get a job in industry(thats what people say here).

I will live you here this links to renewable energy jobs, look in R&D there you find jobs for physicist.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/Photovoltaic-Research-jobs

http://www.jobsinpv.com/sec,98,R & D&by=sector

I hope some scientist answer you to this question here in this forum, I am no expert and i am asking the same as you.

AlexES16: Thanks for your reply, I'll be sure to give thoses links you gave me a thorough read.

It looks as if you're having trouble finding what to study at a tertiary level (I read your thread) and my advice to you would be choose what you enjoy more. With either degree (EE, ChE, Physics) you'll be able to enter the industry but you'll have a better chance if some passion for what you're doing is evident. My biggest problem on the other hand is finding specific job titles that will be available when I finish said degree.

Thanks again,
Justin.

Related to Physics & the energy industry.

1. What is the role of physics in the energy industry?

Physics plays a crucial role in the energy industry as it helps us understand the fundamental principles of energy and how it can be converted, stored, and utilized in various forms. It also helps in the design and development of energy technologies, such as renewable energy sources, power plants, and energy-efficient devices.

2. How does physics contribute to the development of renewable energy sources?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, rely heavily on the principles of physics. For instance, solar panels use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity, while wind turbines utilize the kinetic energy of wind to generate power. Physics helps in optimizing the design and efficiency of these technologies.

3. What is the impact of physics on the production and distribution of energy?

Physics plays a significant role in the production and distribution of energy. The laws of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics are fundamental in the design and operation of power plants, pipelines, and other energy infrastructure. Physics also helps in understanding the behavior of materials used in energy production and transportation, such as metals and polymers.

4. How can physics help in making the energy industry more sustainable?

Physics can help in making the energy industry more sustainable by providing insights into the use of renewable energy sources, increasing energy efficiency, and reducing carbon emissions. It also helps in the development of new energy storage technologies, such as batteries and fuel cells, which are crucial for the integration of renewable energy into the grid.

5. What are some current challenges in the energy industry that physics can help address?

The energy industry faces many challenges, such as the depletion of fossil fuels, climate change, and energy security. Physics can help address these challenges by providing solutions for increasing energy efficiency, developing new renewable energy technologies, and understanding the impacts of energy production on the environment. It can also help in the development of advanced materials for energy production and storage, as well as improving the safety and reliability of energy infrastructure.