Physics textbook for undergraduate level, self study

In summary, the conversation discusses different recommendations for learning physics, including the University Physics text by Young and Freedman, the book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, and "Fundamental University Physics" by Alonso and Finn. The importance of having a strong math background and the use of supplemental books is also mentioned.
Gary271
Hello, I want to learn Physics, starting from mechanics to quantum mechanics and such.
My brother is a physics student and he uses the University Physics text. This seems to be extremely popular- all my friends have also studied with this text.
Is this a good book to get and start from page 1 and work my way to the end while doing all the problems?
Does edition of the book matter at all?
Any input is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the OpenStax books, the book by Young and Freedman, or another book with the same title?

vela said:
Are you referring to the OpenStax books, the book by Young and Freedman, or another book with the same title?
no idea what openstax is, but i am talking about the book by young and freedman.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321973615/?tag=pfamazon01-20
i have a copy of this one but in a different edition.

I Highly recommend "Physics for scientists and engineers" by Serway | Jewett
Theory is explained at high level; There are good and many practice problems. Also, you can download/buy solutions book.

Depends on your math ability. If you have a strong Calculus background. I highly recommend Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics. The author has a very clear and beautiful way of relating everything to first principles. The problems can be hard. The explanations are concise and elegant. It makes going to books such as: KK, Purcell, Griffith, etc, easier. It also serves as a good reference for later courses.

I forgot to mention. Please supplement Alonso with an easier book. A good book would be an earlier edition of Serway or Giancoli.

Related to Physics textbook for undergraduate level, self study

1. What topics does the physics textbook cover?

The physics textbook covers a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is the textbook suitable for self-study at an undergraduate level?

Yes, the textbook is specifically designed for self-study at an undergraduate level. It includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students grasp the concepts independently.

3. Are there any online resources available to supplement the textbook?

Yes, the textbook may come with access to online resources such as interactive simulations, videos, and additional practice problems. These resources can aid in understanding the material and provide extra practice.

4. Does the textbook include real-world applications of physics concepts?

Yes, the textbook includes real-world examples and applications of physics concepts to help students understand how these principles are used in various fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine.

5. Can the textbook be used as a preparation for standardized tests?

Yes, the textbook covers all the necessary topics and provides practice problems that can help students prepare for standardized tests such as the SAT Subject Test in Physics or the AP Physics exam.