Physics Review Packet, some problems i'm stuck on

In summary, the conversation covers questions about rotational and translational kinetic energy, torque, angular acceleration, and projectile motion. The answers to these questions involve using equations such as the moment of inertia, rotational kinetic energy, and conservation of momentum. The answers are as follows: 1) The ratio of rotational to translational kinetic energy is 1:2. V is equal to the angular velocity (w) times the radius (r). 2) The net torque is equal to the change in angular momentum over time. 3) The question involves a solid cylinder being rotated by two ropes with different radii. 4) The speed of the sphere at the bottom of the inclined plane is 4.4 m/s. 5
adnama
Just a few questions from a review packet I'm stuck on, any help would be appreciated!

1) The moment of inertia about its axis is given as .5 mr^2. If this cylinder rolls without slipping the ratio of it's rotational kinetic energy to it's translational kinetic energy is
a. 2:1
b. 1:1
c. 1:2 >My guess<
d. 1:3

I'm assuming Rotational Kinetic Energy = (.5mr^2)(w^2) has something to do with this

2) An object’s angular momentum changes by 20 kg,m2/s in 4.0 s. What magnitude average torque acted on this object?
A. 2.5 N’m >my guess<
B. 5.0 N-m
C. 40 N-m
D. 80 N’m

I'm not sure what equation I'm supposed to use

3) A solid cylinder of mass 10 kg is pivoted about a frictionless axis thought the center O. A rope wrapped around the outer radius R1 = 1.0 m, exerts a force F1 = 5.0 N to the right. A second rope wrapped around another section of radius R2 = 0.50 m exerts a force F2 = 6.0 N downward. (See Fig. 8-1.) What is the angular acceleration of the cylinder?
(It's like a circle inside a circle)
A) 1.0 rad/s2
B) 0.60 rad/s2 >my guess<
C) 0.40 rad/s2
D) 0.80 rad/s2

I did angular acceleration = ((R1F1)-(R2F2))/mr1^2 and the closest i got was to .6

4) A solid sphere of mass 1.0 kg and radius 0.010 m starts from rest and rolls without slipping down a 1.0-m high inclined plane. What is the speed of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the inclined plane?
A) 3.7 m/s >My guess<
B) 4.4 m/s
C) 5.6 m/s
D) 6.3 m/s

my final equation was gh=(7/10)v^2

5)A railroad car with a mass of 200 kg is going at 10 m/s. A 70 kg stunt man drops directly down on it from a distance of 4 m above. What is the speed of the railroad car after?
a. 4.7 m/s
b. 7.4 m/s >my guess<
c. 2.8 m/s
d. 10 m/s

Totally lost

6) A projectile is launched with an initial velocity of 60 m/s at an agnle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. How far will it go?
a. 318 m
b. 160 m >my guess<
c. 152 m
d. 184 m

I feel like this should be simple, and I'm using 2d kinematics but the answers I get don't match up

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) What is the translational kinetic energy? What is v in terms of w?

2) Similar to Newton's Second Law, [tex] \vec{F}_{net} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} [/tex] , What does [tex] \tau_{net} = [/tex] ?

3) I don't really understand the picture.

4) Right.

5) Conservation of Momentum.

6) Show your work.

Last edited:

Related to Physics Review Packet, some problems i'm stuck on

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. What is a review packet?

A review packet is a collection of practice problems and questions designed to help students review and reinforce their understanding of a particular subject, in this case, physics. It is often used as a study tool before exams or to prepare for standardized tests.

3. Why is it important to review physics?

Reviewing physics is important because it helps students solidify their understanding of concepts and principles, identify any areas of weakness, and improve their problem-solving skills. It also allows them to review and practice key equations and formulas, which are crucial for success in physics.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem in the review packet?

If you are stuck on a problem in the review packet, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try looking for similar examples in your notes or textbook, or ask a classmate or teacher for help. It is important not to get discouraged and to keep practicing until you fully understand the problem.

5. How can I use a review packet effectively?

To use a review packet effectively, start by organizing your notes and materials and setting a study schedule. As you work through the packet, make sure to understand the concepts and principles behind each problem, rather than just memorizing the steps. It can also be helpful to check your answers and review any incorrect or difficult problems multiple times.