Physics question on absolute pressure?

In summary, the question asks for the absolute pressure given a gauge pressure, atmospheric pressure, and vapor pressure. The equation p_gauge = p_absolute - atmospheric can be used to solve for the absolute pressure, but it is important to factor in the vapor pressure, which contributes to the atmospheric pressure. The vapor pressure can be converted to different units, such as pascals or atmospheres, for the equation to be applied correctly. Additionally, the vapor pressure mentioned in the conversation is likely referring to water vapor pressure in the atmosphere.
delfinofrank
Hey, here's the question:

"If a gauge reads -295mmHg where athmospheric pressure is 101.7 kn/m^2 and the vapor pressure is 2.8 kN/m^2, what is the absolute pressure?"

I converted the gauge pressure to 39.36 kN/m^2 but where do i go from here? I know the equation is p_gauge= p_absolute - atmospheric, but where do I factor in the vapor pressure?!

Please help! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The water vapor pressure in the atmsosphere contributes to its atmospheric pressure. So if the atmospheric and gauge pressures are given, the absolute pressure is__________??

Are you sure it's water vapor pressure or could it be the vapor pressure of the mercury?

What I did was I added the gauge pressure and the athmospheric pressure and then subtracted the vapor pressure to get 59.34 kN/m^3. is that right?

When a pressure reading is given in mmHg, it is just an alternative unit of pressure which can be (like you did) converted to paschals or atmospehres, etc. In the US, atmospheric pressure is usually expressed in inches of Hg, or millibars, and there is no mercury in the air (or at leasts not much)!

I interpret vapor pressure as water vapor pressure in the atmosphere, although there are other vapors present, like oxygen and nitrogen, the sum total of which contributes to the atmospheric pressure. Thus, I do not agree with your answer.

Related to Physics question on absolute pressure?

1. What is absolute pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including both the atmospheric pressure and the pressure due to the weight of the fluid itself. It is measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is absolute pressure different from gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure takes into account the atmospheric pressure, which is always present and affects the pressure of a fluid. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, only measures the pressure above atmospheric pressure. So if the atmospheric pressure changes, the gauge pressure will also change, but the absolute pressure will remain constant.

3. What factors affect absolute pressure?

Absolute pressure is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The deeper the fluid is, the higher the absolute pressure will be. Additionally, the denser the fluid and the higher the acceleration due to gravity, the higher the absolute pressure will be.

4. What is the formula for calculating absolute pressure?

The formula for calculating absolute pressure is P = Patm + ρgh, where P is the absolute pressure, Patm is the atmospheric pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid.

5. How is absolute pressure measured?

Absolute pressure is typically measured using a device called a pressure gauge, which can be either mechanical or electronic. The gauge is connected to the fluid and measures the pressure exerted on it. The reading on the gauge will give the absolute pressure in the units specified.