Physics of a diver used in trolling?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a slide diver is a small disc-like device attached to a fishing line and pulled through the water at a constant velocity to keep the line at a certain depth and position relative to the boat. The force exerted by the disc is due to drag and is affected by the angle of the plane of the disc and the speed of the boat. In equilibrium, the net downward force on the disc (due to gravity and buoyancy) is balanced by the tension on the line. The equation for calculating this balance includes variables such as density, drag coefficient, and the weight of the diver and the fluid displaced. However, the shape of the diver may also play a role in controlling the forces on different parts of the device.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What is a simplified physical model for a "slide diver" used in trolling for fish?

As I understand a slide diver, it is a small disc like device attatched to the end of a fishing line. The fishing line is attached to something on a boat and the boat pulls line through the water at a constant velocity. The purpose of the slide diver is to cause the line to float along at a constant depth and, in some uses, to make the line float off the the side of the boat instead of trailing directly behind it.

(This post is prompted by a post in the Mathematics section by harlyhar which asks how to fit an equation to some empirical data for a slide diver. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3479961#post3479961 I doubt the empircal data is sufficient to supply all the variables involved, but it would help to know the symbolic form of the physics formulas.)

The plane of the disc is not necessarily perpendicular to the line. One thought is that the force exerted by the disc is due to drag and that the drag is a function of the rate of flow of water normal to the surface of the disc. In equilibrium, I think the diver remainis at contant position in a frame of refernce that moves with the boat. In this model, the net force down on the disc (due to gravity and any bouancy) plus the drag force would be balance by the tension on the line. Is that a plausible picture of what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be my first guess. But this is the first time I've heard of such a device, so I'm not an expert.

You said the diver keeps at constant depth. So it must be made in a certain way. The gravity plus bouyancy is a constant force upward that doesn't depend on depth or speed through water. The drag will be proportional to speed squared through water (since I'm assuming it moves through the water with relatively great speed). The angle of the plane of the diver will also affect the drag, (the perpendicular area is proportional to the drag). The depth will affect the forces on the diver only because of the angle at which the tension in the line acts.

So somehow these contributions all combine so that the diver stays at a constant depth. If we say that [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the line makes from horizontal and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle the plane of the diver makes from horizontal, then we have:

The total drag force is proportional to [itex]v^2 sin(\phi)[/itex] (i.e. greatest when perpendicular to the water movement). I will call the constant of proportionality D (which will depend on the density of water and drag coefficient). So the horizontal component is [itex] D v^2 sin^2(\phi)[/itex] and the vertical component is [itex] D v^2 sin(\phi) cos(\phi) [/itex].
The total force due to the tension in the line takes whatever value is required to keep the diver traveling at the same horizontal speed as the boat. The horizontal component is: [itex] Tcos(\theta)[/itex] and the vertical component is: [itex] Tsin(\theta) [/itex] (where T is the total tension).
Also, we require that the vertical forces sum to zero, since we assume the diver is in equilibrium.
So we have:
[tex]bouyancy - gravity + D v^2 sin(\phi) cos(\phi) + Tcos(\theta) = 0 [/tex]
(where gravity is the positive value of the gravitaional force). And for the horizotnal forces:
[tex] D v^2 sin^2(\phi) = Tsin(\theta) [/tex]
Combining the two equations we get either:
[tex] T(\frac{sin(\theta)}{tan(\phi)} +cos(\theta)) = gravity - bouyancy [/tex]
Or, if you prefer:
[tex] Dv^2 (sin(\phi)cos(\phi) + \frac{sin^2(\phi)}{tan(\theta)} ) = gravity - bouyancy [/tex]

Either of these equations give the conditions required for the diver to stay at a fixed point relative to the boat.
Note that: [itex]D=\frac{1}{2} \rho C_d[/itex] (where [itex]C_d[/itex] is the drag coefficient and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of the fluid). And gravity is the mass of the diver times g. And the bouyancy is the weight of the fluid displaced, i.e. the volume of the diver times the density of the fluid times g.

So in other words, the speed of the boat restricts the angles of the diver and the line.

But it is probably more likely that the shape of the diver causes the drag to be greater at certain parts of the diver, which controls the angle of its plane.
So all the calculations I have done are not the full picture, I think. So it is not enough to just consider the forces on the diver as a whole. I reckon you need to consider forces on different parts of the diver (since the tension will act at a point and the drag will be different at different parts of the diver).

I'm not sure how I would go about calculating that, maybe someone else on this forum already knows the answer?..

Related to Physics of a diver used in trolling?

1. How does the Physics of a diver affect trolling?

The Physics of a diver greatly affects trolling as it determines the depth at which the diver will dive, the speed at which it will travel, and the direction it will take. The design and weight distribution of the diver, as well as the water pressure and current, all play a role in the physics of the diver and its impact on trolling.

2. What factors influence the diving depth of a diver used in trolling?

The diving depth of a diver used in trolling is influenced by several factors, including the weight and shape of the diver, the amount of line used, and the speed of the boat. Additionally, water temperature, salinity, and current can also impact the diving depth of a diver.

3. How does the speed of the boat affect the performance of a diver used in trolling?

The speed of the boat has a significant impact on the performance of a diver used in trolling. As the boat speed increases, the diver will dive deeper and faster. However, if the boat is moving too fast, the diver may not dive at all or may resurface quickly. It is essential to find the right balance between boat speed and diver performance for successful trolling.

4. How does water pressure affect the physics of a diver used in trolling?

Water pressure plays a crucial role in the physics of a diver used in trolling. As the diver descends deeper into the water, the pressure increases, causing the diver to compress, which can affect its buoyancy and diving depth. Additionally, water pressure can also impact the drag of the diver, affecting its speed and direction.

5. What are the different types of divers used in trolling and how do they differ in terms of physics?

There are several types of divers used in trolling, including diving planes, downriggers, and lead-core lines. These divers differ in terms of their design, weight, and method of use, which can affect the physics of how they perform when trolling. For example, diving planes are designed to dive deeper with an increase in speed, while downriggers use weights to achieve a specific depth and speed.