Physics kinematics calculus question

In summary, Lambda is a dummy constant that you find out after solving the differential equation. You use this information to find a(t).
shiv_99

Homework Statement

Initial acceleration of a particle moving in a straight line is a° and initial velocity is zero.
The acceleration reduces continuously to half in every t° seconds. What will be the terminal velocity(v)?

Homework Equations

[itex]\int[/itex]adt=[itex]\int[/itex]dv

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]adt=[itex]^{v}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]dv
(velocity will become terminal only when accelaration becomes 0 and since acceleration is becoming half after every time interval, it will become zero at infinity)
But to use this equation I need to find an expression for acceleration in terms of time. How should i do it? Should i use geometric progression?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a(t) is a decaying exponential - the time to reduce by half is called the "half life".
You can derive the formula if you like ... start with da/dt=λa knowing that a(t°)=a°/2

You should find that the velocity-time graph is asymptotic to some vmax.

Last edited:
Hi shiv99, welcome to PF :smile:

shiv_99 said:

Homework Statement

Initial acceleration of a particle moving in a straight line is a° and initial velocity is zero.
The acceleration reduces continuously to half in every t° seconds. What will be the terminal velocity(v)?

Homework Equations

[itex]\int[/itex]adt=[itex]\int[/itex]dv

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]adt=[itex]^{v}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]dv
(velocity will become terminal only when accelaration becomes 0 and since acceleration is becoming half after every time interval, it will become zero at infinity)
But to use this equation I need to find an expression for acceleration in terms of time. How should i do it? Should i use geometric progression?

The final velocity of the particle for the first t seconds is given as [itex]v_1=at[/itex], for the next t seconds is, [itex]v_2= at+at/2[/itex] and so on.

So yes, you can apply the infinite geometric sum for these.

Infinitum said:
Hi shiv99, welcome to PF :smile:

The final velocity of the particle for the first t seconds is given as [itex]v_1=at[/itex], for the next t seconds is, [itex]v_2= at+at/2[/itex] and so on.

So yes, you can apply the infinite geometric sum for these.

This would only be correct if the particle's acceleration was halving *discontinuously* every t0 seconds.

The correct approach in this case is to set up a differential equation for a, i.e. [itex]\frac{da}{dt} = -{\lambda}a[/itex] and solve it. Basically, this is the same equation as in exponential radioactive decay.

After integrating (use the conditions given to determine the appropriate bounds), you'll get a closed form expression for a(t).

Now [itex]v(t) = \int_0^t a(t)dt[/itex].

Solve for v(t) and find [itex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} v(t)[/itex] to determine the terminal velocity. The answer should have [itex]\ln 2[/itex] in it.

Curious3141 said:
This would only be correct if the particle's acceleration was halving *discontinuously* every t0 seconds.

Ahh, my bad. :blushing:

@Infinitum: you had me panicking for a bit there :)

Curious3141 said:

The correct approach in this case is to set up a differential equation for a, i.e. [itex]\frac{da}{dt} = -{\lambda}a[/itex] and solve it. Basically, this is the same equation as in exponential radioactive decay.

After integrating (use the conditions given to determine the appropriate bounds), you'll get a closed form expression for a(t).

Now [itex]v(t) = \int_0^t a(t)dt[/itex].

Solve for v(t) and find [itex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} v(t)[/itex] to determine the terminal velocity. The answer should have [itex]\ln 2[/itex] in it.

Here what will be the value of lambda for this ques. Plz help because this(exponential radioactive decay)is a new concept for me

Lambda is a dummy constant - you find out what it is after you solve the differential equation by using the fact that you know one of the solutions, vis: a(t°)=a°/2 ... you'll also get a constant of integration which you find from a(0).

But how do you use it find a(t)

You find a(t) by solving the differential equation provided.

One last time: a(t) is the solution to: [itex]\frac{da}{dt} = \lambda a[/itex] knowing that [itex]a(t=0)=a_0[/itex] and [itex]a(t=T_{1/2})=a_0/2[/itex]

Or you can google "exponential decay" or "radioactive decay" and use the solution provided.

shiv_99 said:
Here what will be the value of lambda for this ques. Plz help because this(exponential radioactive decay)is a new concept for me

Simon has already covered the essentials. You need to express [itex]\lambda[/itex] in terms of [itex]t_0[/itex] by solving the differential equation, then using the "half-life" condition stated.

I'm allowing that Shiv may not know how to solve differential equations ... though just looking up the solution and adapting it to this specific case is also valid. It wouldn't be the first time someone was doing a problem without the broader knowledgebase the rest of us take for granted. Nothing wrong with that as such - it shows the ambition and courage of the self taught.

Related to Physics kinematics calculus question

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. What is calculus in physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that is used in physics to describe and analyze the change of physical quantities over time. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in kinematics, dynamics, and other areas of physics.

3. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics deals with the description of motion, while dynamics deals with the causes of motion. In other words, kinematics is concerned with the "what" of motion, while dynamics is concerned with the "why" of motion.

4. How is calculus used in kinematics?

Calculus is used in kinematics to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time. It allows us to analyze how these quantities change over time and make predictions about the future motion of an object.

5. Why is it important to understand kinematics in physics?

Understanding kinematics is important because it allows us to describe and predict the motion of objects in our everyday lives and in more complex systems. It forms the basis for understanding more advanced concepts in physics, such as dynamics and energy.