Physics- Jet Engine Force and Rocket Kinetic Energy Calculation

• Thread starter suzy123
  • Start date
In summary, using the formulas for force, velocity, and kinetic energy, we can determine that the rocket gains 200 J of kinetic energy from the 300 N of force applied by the jet engine and the 200 N of air friction.
suzy123
Physics--please check answer

Homework Statement

A jet engine applies force of 300 N horizontally to the right against a 50 kg rocket. The force of air friction 200 N. If the rocket is thrust horizontally 2.0 m ,what is the kinetic energy gained by the rocket?

Homework Equations

I think these equations would be used:
f=ma

vf^2=vi^2+2ad

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I re-arranged the force formula and got a=f/m. Then I substituted (300-100)for f and 50 for m. I simplified it to 2.
Then I used vf^2=vi^2+2ad and substituted 0 for vi, 2 for a and 2.0 for d. Then I got 2.83 for vf.
Lastly, I used KE=1/2mv^2 and substituted 50 kg for m and 2.83 for v. My final answer is 200 J. I am not too sure if it is correct. Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right.
You meant (300-200) above, not (300-100) but you did it right anyway.
There was no need to solve for vf. KE = 1/2 m vf^2 and vf^2 = 8. 8*50/2 = 200.

Likes 1 person

Related to Physics- Jet Engine Force and Rocket Kinetic Energy Calculation

1. What is physics?

Physics is the natural science that studies matter, energy, motion, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels.

2. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, relativity, quantum mechanics, and optics. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.

3. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and provides the foundation for many other scientific fields. It has practical applications in technology and engineering, and its theories and laws have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

4. What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics include the laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These principles help us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. How is physics related to other sciences?

Physics is closely related to other sciences such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy. Many phenomena in these fields can be explained using the principles of physics. Physics also provides a foundation for engineering and technology, as well as for understanding the natural world.