Physics is the most broad and respected science?

In summary: Once physics explains the brain, it will encompass the soft sciences.In summary, Physics is the most broad and respected science that you can do anything you want with it. It is the trunk of the tree, and all other sciences grow outward from it.
But the Greeks assumed that all could be deduced from reason. Technically, I believe the age of science is defined to begin with the first experiments; though I think the philosophers should still have offices in the physics department. Oh wait...they do! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Which translated into English means "Doctor of Philosophy." -ae is the gerund form in Latin.

Oh I know that. But 1) i felt like being contrary, 2)it still technically does not actually stand for "doctor of philosophy".

Moonbear said:
But all the sciences have arisen from philosophical questioning.

...and people who were willing TO DO SOMETHING about it, rather than just sit around and think about it.

Monique said:
I think in these forums, there might be a certain bias :wink:

If this was a biology forum I would agree, but physics people are completely objective. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
If this was a biology forum I would agree, but physics people are completely objective. :biggrin:

I just have one thing to say to that:

:smile:

JasonRox said:
...and people who were willing TO DO SOMETHING about it, rather than just sit around and think about it.

And without the people who "sits around and think about it", there wouldn't be anyone outside "doing" anything.

If you conduct experiments blindly without purpose -- which comes from philosophy -- then it's as if you're doing nothing at all.

Icebreaker said:
If you conduct experiments blindly without purpose -- which comes from philosophy -- then it's as if you're doing nothing at all.

Excellent point! :approve: Note my choice of signature.

stjimmy said:
What do you think guys.
is physics the hardest, most respected, most broad ranging science?
that you can do any thing you want with it?

what do you think?

what is the study of physics like and what happens after?

i haven't read much from this thread, but...
"Physics is much too hard for physicists." -- Hilbert

:biggrin:

actually the first time I heard about physics eclipsing the other sciences was in I believe "Why things are the way they are" by Charandaskar.

stjimmy said:
What do you think guys.
is physics the hardest, most respected, most broad ranging science?
that you can do any thing you want with it?

what do you think?

what is the study of physics like and what happens after?

I love Physics
I like math
I do electronics

That is why I'm ElectroPhysics

I'd have to say I respect medical science the most, which of course draws from all of the natural sciences. If we are to think of the single theoretical system that has had the most important and dramatic impact on the way we view the world, I'd have to say you can't top Darwinian evolution - though physicists might argue for quantum mechanics. Of course, perhaps the single most revolutionary idea to ever arise is the scientific method itself, invented by, God forbid, the philosopher Francis Bacon. Not to mention logic in general, invented by that other philosopher Aristotle.

Biological research is getting more to the level that physics is becoming important. Physics is needed to explain the behavior of the molecular machines that function within cells and move molecules around in them.

Physics may also directly have an impact on general human behavior beyond the functioning of the cells in the brain. Why do people think blondes have more fun? Could it be because blonde hair reflects more light and more colors of light and thus creates the impression that blondes have more energy. Blonde is also the color of the sun.

On the other hand, darkness is associated with the unknown. The lack of light means less information is available for decision making. Darkness may hide threats to safety. As a result people may be more suspicious of those with dark skin. Women may find a dark complexion sexually attractive because on the physical level darkness causes a fear based adrenaline rush that is stimulating.