Physics I- impossible question on oscillation (help needed).

In summary: I don't know how to make an equation in latex.In summary, the question is asking for the equation of simple harmonic oscillation and the answer is found by using the equation of constant circular motion.
frasifrasi
The question is

"The magnitude of the gravitational acceleration inside Earth is given approximately by g(r) = g_0(r/R_E), where g_0 is the surface value, r is the distance from Earth's center, and R_E is Earth's radius; the acceleration is directed toward Earth's center. Suppose a narrow hole were drilled straight through the center of Earth and out the other side. Neglecting air resistance, show that an object dropped into this hole executes simple harmonic motion, and find an expression for the period. Evalueate and compare with the period of a satellite in a circular orbit not far above Earth's surface."

I am gettinng that T = 2(pi)*sqrt(R_E/g_0)

How do I proceed from here? I am lost! I tried comparing and equations and think that R = RE, and their periods are exactly the same. is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer is correct. Have confidence in your reasoning. :-) Their periods are exact means that you found an interesting result!

First question is related to simple harmonic oscillation: [itex]\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}=-\frac{g_0}{R_E}r[/itex] where [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g_0}{R_E}}[/itex]. And second problem is related to constant circular motion: [itex]a=\frac{v^2}{R}[/itex], where [itex]a=g_0, v=\omega R_E, R=R_E[/itex] so same [itex]\omega[/itex]. But you should pat attention to the relation between angular velocity and frequency [itex]\omega=2\pi f[/itex]

Ok, thanks. My work is very similar to yours--is that enough to answer the question? The reason I ask is because this is an end of chapter question, which is supposed to be one of the harder ones.

# It would enough for me if I were your teacher.

How did you get that velocity?

isn't velocity supposed to be:

v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax ?
= v = sqrt(Rg_0) ?

thanks and sorry about no latex.

Related to Physics I- impossible question on oscillation (help needed).

1. What is oscillation in physics?

Oscillation in physics refers to the back-and-forth motion of a system around its equilibrium position. This can occur in various forms, such as waves, pendulums, or vibrating particles.

2. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of an oscillating system?

The formula for frequency is f = 1/T, where T is the period of the oscillation - the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion.

3. Can an oscillating system have a negative frequency?

No, an oscillating system's frequency cannot be negative. Frequency is a measure of how many cycles occur per unit of time, and therefore must always be a positive value.

4. How does amplitude affect the motion of an oscillating system?

The amplitude of an oscillating system refers to the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. It affects the energy and intensity of the oscillation, but does not impact the frequency or period of the motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of oscillation?

Some common examples of oscillation in everyday life include the motion of a swing, the vibration of guitar strings, and the waves produced by dropping a pebble in a pond.