Physics Hwk Problem on Convex Mirrors

In summary, the conversation discusses using convex mirrors in a store with a radius of curvature of 4 m. The question is posed of what the image distance would be for a customer 20 m in front of the mirror. The advice is given to make a chart to help with calculations and understanding the sign convention for the mirror equation. It is mentioned that the image in this problem is virtual and the sign convention is important in getting the correct answer.
shawonna23
Convex mirrors are being used to monitor the aisles in a store. The mirrors have a radius of curvature of 4 m. What is the image distance if a customer is 20 m in front of the mirror?

From using the mirror equation, i came up with an answer of 1.82m but when i submitted it for webassign, it was wrong. Is the answer supposed to be negative? Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this will provide your answer automatically.

Spherical Mirrors

May i give you a piece of advice here ?
When studying mirrors you should make a little list for yourself in which you make four columns and three row. Each row denotes the mirror type (plane, concave, convex) and the columns are like this:
1) mirror type
2) object location (inside or outside the focal point)
3) image (three sub-columns :location, type, orientation of the image with respect to the object)
4) the signs (four sub-columns where you write the signs of f,r,i,m for each row)

f : focal point
r: radius of spherical mirror
i : image distance
m: magnification
p:eek:bject distance

Nr 4 will eliminate the chance of you making any mistakes when filling in the parameters of the spherical mirror formula [tex]\frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{i} = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

You can do the same for lenses.
If you want a check just let me know and i will verify your tables :)

regards
marlon

Last edited:
shawonna23 said:
From using the mirror equation, i came up with an answer of 1.82m but when i submitted it for webassign, it was wrong. Is the answer supposed to be negative? Please Help!
Just to add to marlon's post: Often the most confusing thing about using the mirror (and lens) equation is getting the sign convention straight. To add to the confusion, there are several different sign conventions.

With one standard sign convention, real images have positive image distances (meaning the image is on the same side of the mirror as the light is after reflection) and virtual images have negative image distances (meaning that the image appears to be on the side of the mirror surface where there really is no light). The image in this problem is virtual.

The mirror equation will tell you this, assuming you have the signs of object distance (positive for real objects, like a person) and focal length (negative for diverging mirrors, like convex mirrors). I suspect you made an error with one (or both) of these.

Related to Physics Hwk Problem on Convex Mirrors

What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a curved mirror with a reflective surface that bulges outward. It is also known as a diverging mirror because it causes light rays to spread out or diverge.

What is the difference between a convex mirror and a concave mirror?

A convex mirror curves outward, while a concave mirror curves inward. This results in different behaviors of light rays, with a convex mirror causing light to spread out and a concave mirror causing light to converge.

What are the characteristics of an image formed by a convex mirror?

An image formed by a convex mirror is always virtual, upright, and smaller than the object. It is also located behind the mirror, and its size depends on the distance of the object from the mirror.

How do you calculate the image distance and magnification of a convex mirror?

The image distance of a convex mirror can be calculated using the formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. The magnification can be calculated using the formula: m = -di/do, where m is the magnification, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance.

What are some real-life applications of convex mirrors?

Convex mirrors are commonly used as security and safety mirrors, such as in stores, parking lots, and road intersections. They are also used in vehicles as side-view mirrors to provide a wider field of view. Convex mirrors can also be found in telescopes and other optical instruments.